Recent Posts

Sunday, May 18, 2008

Current crush

LB will not allow a coffee table in our living room until The Pea is out of toddlerhood. As she is only 16 months old, I will be cooling my decorating heels for a while. At the moment, I'm totally crushing on this table from the kick-ass designer Eva Zeisel. You may know her ceramic pieces including a reissued mid century dinnerware collection available from Crate and Barrel. This woman's life is not to be believed (she's 101 and still designing) and if you're not familiar with her or her work, read up. From the Design Within Reach website:

A person of delightfully defiant spirit, Zeisel was just beginning her career when she declared war on the fashionable avant-garde. "I didn't accept the purism of modern design," she says. "In my definition, if it gave beauty to the eye, it was beauty." Even when MoMA was an advocate of straight-lined Bauhaus design, Zeisel gave them curved feminine forms. The result of such an approach is a design that's truly timeless. "I always live life in the present," says Zeisel. "Eternity is only in the present."

Word to power, Sister.

0 comments: