Recent Posts

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Disney decorating

- the top row of logs is a fixed display shelf -

I take issue with Disney decorating (my term), interiors with hokey, theme-y, OTT eye-rolling touches. I strive for a certain verity in decorating, furniture and accessories must be functional and contextually appropriate. No chairs that can't hold an adult's weight, no thin-necked decorative vases not meant for flora, no silk flower arrangements, and above all nothing twee. So when House Beautiful features a Napa "weekend ranch" furnished with enough Ralph Lauren* pieces to bankroll Mr. Lifshitz's next Bugatti, my decorating BS alarm starts screaming.

High-end appliances are hidden behind recycled fencing (too shiny!), and the ginormous light fixtures are from a Paris flea market. I'm waffling on the truck spring stools.

I am adamant about the tractor seat stools. Hideous. Supposedly the table is made of scrap metal from the Eiffel Tower for Gustave Eiffel's office. Uh huh.

Two vintage Louis Vuitton suitcases are stacked to make a nightstand in the master bedroom. The bed is modeled after a "woody" station wagon. Marc Jacobs meets the Beach Boys!

Brunch in the barn surrounded by artfully arranged hay bales. Country chic! Gingham gorgeousness!

Lest you think me a snarky beast (which I am and embrace), I adore this shower. I've wanted a shower that opens to the outdoors since I was a zygote.

*Mr. Lauren is a huge advertiser with HB. A coinky dink? I think not.

2 comments:

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

wow. Nobody loves gory industrial leftovers more than me, but "twee" is exactly the right word for that table, and those spring stools. They just feel out of place. It's hard to describe, but if you're going to blend industrial junk in with new/high-end stuff, it can't stick out like a sore thumb... and those stools are just way too pleased with themselves.

erin@designcrisis said...

You ARE a snarky beast! I think I love you...