Recent Posts

Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Family values

One of my favorite things to do to wile away the time is surfing the LA Times real estate listings. This week's offerings include the homes of Pete Sampras, Phil Mickelson, Beck, and the president of Armstrong Garden Centers (random, huh?). My favorite shot is the bedroom of TV show producers Kent and Susan McCray (sadly no exterior shots). The McCrays were the team behind such family fare as "Bonanza," "Little House on the Prairie" and "Highway to Heaven." Looks like they made a boatload of money in the late 1960s and 1970s, built a monster of a house, and then, satisfied, moved on to other things. What strikes me is how wholesome the look is. No groovy Austin Power-ish love den with a swing in the living room, no shag carpet, no spiral staircases. Just Bible Belt beige paint, Half-Pint hardwood walls, and Hoss... damn, I can't rhyme anything with "Hoss." And you know big ole Hoss loved him some decoratin'. You just know it.

3 comments:

sherri said...

paneling on the ceiling? matching dressers side by side? the carpet?
what is up with the mirror? the bedspread?

I think "satisfied, they moved on to other things" pretty much answers my questions. And made me laugh out loud when I read that.

perchance said...

I don't think it's a mirror, it looks like a cutout in the wall overlooking a lower level. OK, so maybe a little groovy.

sherri said...

that is a cutout. how odd. and how hideous.

OOh! Can this be a regular "if the lamp shade fits" installment, please? The LA Times real estate listings sound like good fodder to me.

(please delete this if it posts three times to save me from shame, why is pushing enter so hard for me?)