Recent Posts

Saturday, July 19, 2008

The Godfather of Soul-less Furniture

My struggle with this post was not the subject matter (truly hideous furniture), but the order in which to place the photos (least hideous to most offensive or vice verse). In the end, I decided to open with a flourish and end with a whimper. As you may guess from the portrait above, James Brown's estate was auctioned off this week by Christie's in New York. Many of the pieces fell far short of auction estimates, including these lovelies. A New York Times article compares the effort to archive Elvis' ephemera and the reincarnation of Graceland as a museum to the near garage-sale-like dispersal of Brown's possessions.

Never have so many Naugas selflessly given up their hides for the sake of luxury and beauty.


5 comments:

sherri said...

I like how you can almost see the woman in the bottom picture cracking up through the blur. That green thing looks like it has one of those protective plastic covers on it. And what three people are going to be sitting together in that top situation? and why am I discussing this top to bottom?

perchance said...

Wanna know my guess? He allowed each successive wife to decorate one room in the house. It would explainthe disparate styles. And that soft sculpture palm tree cracks me up!

sherri said...

thank you for pointing out said sculpture, it blended into the wall and I didn't notice it.

sherri said...

and amendment to first post. bottom to top. no more commenting after wine for me.

perchance said...

Why not? I only post while intoxicated.