Recent Posts

Thursday, July 31, 2008

Shudder, cringe, recoil

- described as "funky purple acrylic chandelier" -

Does the word "funky" send up all sorts of red flags for you? When a website, catalog, whatever describes an item, a room, or a project as "funky," I immediately imagine the color purple used in inappropriate ways. Also Beetlejuice-looking interiors. Do you know what I'm getting at?

A few years ago, I was at market sitting in a maternity-wear showroom sharing a table with a couple of ladies who were starting a website called "Funky Frum" (link here). For those of you non-Jews, "frum" refers to observant conservative Jews. For women, this means long skirts, long-sleeved shirts, and hats (often weird 1930s-type cloches). Anyhoo, when I heard the name my mind conjured up images of strange layers, decorative buttons, and hideous mesh fabric. In reality, some of the items on their site are quite cute. It's just the name that's unfortunate.

I propose a ban on the word "funky." Any takers?

"Eclectic" is another one that gets my stomach acid roiling.

2 comments:

Cristin said...

I think I smoked some pot out of that thing in college....

sherri said...

agreed; funky and eclectic are no good. purple and acrylic shouldn't be in the same sentence either. especially not the same sentence with chandelier.