Recent Posts

Sunday, August 10, 2008

From the Tim Burton School of Ceramic Artistry

One of my favorite Etsy shops, The Runny Bunny, is filled with all manner of phantasmagorical figurines. To create the sublimely bizarre creatures, artist Robin VanValkenburgh uses two different vintage slip caste ceramic molds joining the still-wet pieces before firing. Some details are hand-molded and applied (see Rickey's hat below).

My current three faves are "Nona La Pearl," "Rickey Bird," and "Victorian Lady Bird."



Esty shop here, VanValkenburgh's blog here.

4 comments:

sherri said...

those are creeping me out just a tad.

Raina said...

Understandable. The googly-eyed dog bothers me.

karly said...

more creepy ceramics on etsy (I already own the deerman and the totem kitty, but am currently accepting all other animals as gifts)

http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=5062087

Raina said...

Oh, those are good too!