Recent Posts

Sunday, August 3, 2008

I love surprises

My Amazon recommendations held a special gift for me today - the new book by David Liss will be published next month. The author is best known for his historical novels tracing a Jewish family's flight from Inquisition-era Portugal to Amsterdam and England and their involvement in the rise of the European coffee trade and the British stock market. Fascinating stuff.

Liss' newest novel is set in the years after the American Revolution in "an unstable nation where desperate schemers vie for wealth, power, and a chance to shape a country’s destiny." His writing is not the hoke-fest the description might lead you to believe. Expertly researched, Liss' books are the kind you cannot put down once you begin reading.

5 comments:

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I just ordered the coffee one from paperback swap... I can't wait!

Raina said...

Yay! Let me know what you think.

David Liss said...

Hey, Raina. Thanks for the enthusiasm. I hope you like the book.

Raina said...

*SWOON* That made my month!

You're more than welcome.

anna said...

ooooh, i'd wondered about this book and it sounds fascinating.

it's been in the amazon cart for a while now and i think i'm going to buy it right now!