Recent Posts

Saturday, August 9, 2008

My favorite artist

"Cy Twombly: Cycles and Seasons"

The Tate Modern in London is currently running a presentation of the major works of American artist, Cy Twombly. "At the heart of the exhibition is Twombly’s work exploring the cycles associated with seasons, nature and the passing of time. Several key groups are brought together for the first time, such as Tate’s Four Seasons 1993–4 with those from the Museum of Modern Art, New York. The exhibition also explores how Twombly is influenced by antiquity, myth and the Mediterranean."

From the exhibition's room guides: "In 1954, Twombly was conscripted and trained as a cryptographer in the US Army. At night he made drawings in the dark, retracing the Surrealist technique of automatic writing. The experience fed into Criticism, Academy and The Geeks, whose multiple layers of paint and graffiti-like pencil scribbles simultaneously refer to and subvert Abstract Expressionism."

This kind of story fascinates me and was my motivation to pursue a degree in art history (I also have a BS in Interior Design). I don't see an artist's work as a be-all and end-all, but rather as a by-product of his or her personal relationships, outside influences, and life experiences. To me, the work is secondary - the real story happens away from the galleries and museums.

The museum promises a virtual tour of the exhibition space will be appearing soon on their website. Keep checking here. In my Amazon cart are the two books pictured, available here and here.

"Cy Twombly: Fifty Years of Work on Paper"

3 comments:

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I'm not familiar with his work, but those images are beautiful. We totally are blogglegangers-- I *almost* completed an art history major as well as english. :)

erin@designcrisis said...

Can I join your blogglegang? I, too, have an english degree and an art degree. I am so rich. But anyway, Cy Twombly is a hero of mine. I don't care what ignorant people say, it takes talent and effort to make squiggles so effortlessly elegant.

Raina said...

Sure you can, you wear the purple hat.