Recent Posts

Friday, August 29, 2008

Springtime in New Zealand

Ok, hold on 'cause this is going to be a loooong post, at least picture-wise. Tucked into the bottom of our hill across from the beach, there's a beautiful little park. We've lived here a year and have never explored it. Weird, I know. Today was THE day, seeing as how we finally have some decent weather and sunshine. For those of you non-Kiwis (which makes up about 99.9% of my blog readers), I'm featuring native NZ flora. I don't know the names of any of them, but they're striking, no?





When this thing blooms, it's going to be ginormous. The bud is the size of two human hands.

We then scampered quick like bunnies across the road to check out Shag Rock, part of a large ancient lava flow and the entrance to the estuary. The next photo is for scale.

The pools around Shag Rock and Anonymous Smaller Rock at low tide. Usually all manner of dogs are frolicking in the knee-deep pools.

This shot gives you an idea of how vast Sumner Beach becomes at low tide. At high tide, the water reaches to within a few feet of where I'm standing.

The Pea pointing out the delicate ocean ecosystem housed in the ancient lava flow. Five seconds earlier, she was up to her elbow in the water. Jacket and all. Tomorrow, we're meeting Fi, Marty, and their kiddos for a picnic in Hagley Park. More lovely springtime shots to follow...

8 comments:

sherri said...

that's what I mean. that's why I want to go to NZ! sooooo pretty!

Raina said...

Oh, all right. It should take you about 36 hours to get here. I'll pick you up at the airport Tuesday. It's still a little nippy, so remember to pack a jacket. And could you bring some Reese's cups? They don't sell them over here.

Octamom said...

This is just stunning! The rock formations are incredible--how awesome to have this in your 'backyard', so to speak.

Your little one is darling--a few of mine have been dedicated binky babies and one would ONLY use Nuks--looks like your little one has developed that look as well!

You're giving me the travel itch to head for NZ myself--wonder if I can talk Mr. J Crew into a little va-ca! Thanks for your fun comments over at my place!
Blessings!

Cristin said...

I'm sorry, but I hate you just a little because you get to live there...

sherri said...

done and done.

Fifi Flowers said...

Absolutely BEAUTIFUL!

Raina said...

Cristin, NZ has to be beautiful to make up for all of its societal ills. No seriously, things that would make your eyes pop.

You've got first world countries (US, Canada), third world (you know which ones). Did you ever wonder what a second world one might look like? It's New Zealand. It has a fantastic international reputation which, after living here a year, I can vow is most undeserved.

So I try to concentrate on the physical beauty surrounding me and ignore the rest. It's a great place to visit, but you wouldn't want to live here.

Raina said...

And hello Miss Fifi, great to see you back!