Recent Posts

Sunday, August 24, 2008

A trip down memory lane

Who remembers the 1990s Euro-prep catalog "Tweeds" started by two former J.Crew execs? Most every article of clothing came in the colors Ink and Oxblood, and it made my college-age wannabe-fashionista heart beat a little faster whenever it arrived in the mail. I don't know what made me think of Tweeds, just one of those random pops-in-your-head kinda things.

I found a few references on the web (seems they closed up shop with Y2K), but no pictures. My mind may be playing tricks on me, but I seem to recall lots of Sonoran desert locations in the photography.

Sherri, you and I are the same age. Did you have some Tweeds in your closet?

Note: The image above features no Tweeds clothing that I know of, but it speaks to my soul.

4 comments:

sherri said...

Totally remember Tweeds! I never wore it, I was all thrift storing it at the time, but had friends who did and loved looking at their catalogs.

erin said...

I had a dress made by Tweeds. It was brown and long and... very brown. It was super expensive (to me) and I felt really cool when I wore it, even though I looked like a brown sack of... Now I see Tweeds stuff at TJ Maxx all the time and I realize how very middle aged those clothes were.

Raina said...

Erin, You're so right. Kinda like Sigrid Olsen for the college set.

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I don't think I ever had Tweeds, but I did have an indigo blue J Peterman dress that I picked up at a local thrift store, that I was immensely proud of. Actually, though, I think I may have been ahead of my sophistication level; I trashed the dress after a few years when I went into my post-Euro all-black phase but, remembering it now, I realize it was probably really quite flattering and pretty. Sadness.