Recent Posts

Monday, September 15, 2008

If they tried just a little harder

Can you imagine if Pottery Barn tried a little harder, wouldn't it look like this? They were so close with spring's introduction of the Moroccan collection. And then they took a big leap backwards with the recent unveiling of their take on the near-dead Hollywood Regency trend.

Mrs. Obvious is suggesting that PB clear the Scandinavian prints, owls, clunky-legged upholstery, steroided dining room sets, seasonal goofiness, and other sundry misdirections of the fall catalog and try a clean forward-looking turn on American design.

Think Thomas O'Brien, T. Keller Donovan, and Eric Cohler who designed the beautiful apartment pictured above, featured in House Beautiful here.

3 comments:

erin@designcrisis said...

I tried to go to their site to do some research on your rant, but I accidentally clicked on the "Photography" section and I nearly barfed. I had to leave. Quickly.

But, I do know (from previous research) that they have some awesome lamps!

Raina said...

Here's my previous rant on the fall merchandise mix:

http://ifthelampshadefits.blogspot.com/2008/07/ok-sybil.html

PutzFrau said...

Pottery Barn has a knack for making things under-whelming and over-priced.

I agree, you don't need to try very hard to make a room interesting. Just add some color and or non-trendy thigs.