Recent Posts

Sunday, September 28, 2008

He gave the world karate chop pillows

- 1978 Nathanson House in Los Angeles -

The New York Times' T Magazine has a great, albeit brief, history of interior designer Michael Taylor's innovative career (he passed away in 1986), here. Taylor created the signature California contemporary look by combining boldly overscaled furniture and outdoor elements such as concrete, wicker, boulders, and geodes. Many of his pieces and fabrics are still available through eponymous showrooms throughout the country. If I hadn't given the dates of these interiors, would you have thought they were 25-30 years old?

There are too few photos in the Times article, so I did a little digging and found more here, here, and here.

- Knowles House, Lake Tahoe, mid 1980s -

- living room design for a John Lautner built house in Malibu, mid 1980s -

5 comments:

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

Ok, so it seems SOME good design came out of the 80's!

hello gorgeous said...

No karate chops. No. No. No. No. No.

Raina said...

Well, damn HG. Now I have to rewrite my holiday gift list.

*scratching out karate chop pillow for HG*

erin@designcrisis said...

I didn't know what's what they were called... I always wondered how someone could feel such violence toward an innocent pillow, but I think if my pillows looked like giant marshmallows, I might be angry, too.

please sir said...

karate chop pillows = priceless! Loving all your comments on the posts!