Recent Posts

Sunday, August 31, 2008

The Selby for grown-ups

- photo wall in toy store owner Lisa Mahar's home -

The Selby, an interiors photo blog with a decidedly Millennial bend, has received a lot of attention over the past few months (including here at Lampshade). A tribute to all things vintage, DIY, neo-grunge, and crocheted, The Selby always leaves me feeling like I have that thrift store stank on me.

New York Social Diary has a similar lifestyle feature, "The Way They Live," here, with more sophisticated profiles. Recent subjects include the owner of an upscale toy store, a dancer with the Merce Cunningham Dance Company, costume jeweler Alexis Bittar, and my favorite interiors photographer Pieter Estersohn. Subjects are properly interviewed rather than being given a piece of paper full of high school-like scribbles. NYSD's "Decorator Series" similarly profiles top New York area interior designers.

- interior designer Sheila Bridges' dining room-

- living room of dancer Jonah Bokaer -

- bedroom of photographer Pieter Estersohn's son -

2 comments:

erin@designcrisis said...

Yay! The Selby has rivals... I hope it puts a damper on his God complex.

Robin said...

Thank you! I have yet to see an interior on The Selby that is even close to what a grown up's home should look like. I am perplexed as to everyone fawning over it. Most of those homes are a study in contrived sponteneity. "Look how I carelessly I decorated my home... oh wait, let me move the mismatched lamps and random paint-by-numbers before you snap the pic."