Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 23, 2008

A visual encyclopedia of my childhood

A few months ago, Jezebel editor Tracie Egan stumbled upon perhaps one of the greatest thrift shop finds ever, "a small library of hardcover books from the late '60s/early '70s called Woman Alive. The books are essentially a series of texts for grown women on how to be…grown women. The topics of each book range from personal appearance, crafting, cooking, understanding your body, and how to cope with the unfortunate state of being single."

Each week Egan shares excerpts from a different title which are, from a contemporary viewpoint, hilarious. This week's velvet goldmine is "How to Decorate Without Going Broke." An odd title choice given that some of the book's highlights include Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne's signature sheep sculptures and a custom conversation pit.

This photo could appear in Domino next month and no one would bat an eye.

Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne's famous critters.

Paging all swingers...

Again, look for a variation of this to appear in Domino before the holidays.

What's with the bindi dots?

7 comments:

sherri said...

I thought my main desire for our next house was more space, but now I clearly see I was wrong. What I truly need is a custom conversation pit.

erin@designcrisis said...

I kind of want all of those rooms, and I need that bird bed! Is that Lalanne, too?

I think I'll pass on the blonde bindis, though. What IS with that?

karly / design crisis said...

someone should make you guest editor for an upcoming issue of domino. I can help!

Room #1 is would be most magical with a few updates. I'm planning on lots of black in my new bedroom, I'll keep you all posted once progress begins

Raina said...

Yeah, well Karly that will never happen. There are a few popular crowd design bloggers (you know who they are) who would have first dibs on that assignment.

"I love David Hicks!"
"Me too!"
"I love Ghost Chairs!"
"Me too!"
"I love French chairs with edgy fabrics!"
"Me too!"
"Aren't I chic and fabulous!"
"Me too!"
"If you don't agree with me, I'll pass a note in class saying you're a slut!"
"Me too!"

erin@designcrisis said...

Fuck Domino, you need to be editor of the Tasteful Yet Funny AND Awesome magazine. Damn. That was a lame title, but I think you get the point. I'm sorry.

ps, time for us girls to get ahead of the curve. The Domino look is SO OVER.

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

Why can't the magazine just be called Dictator Chic? The logo could be a splashy vintage-James-Bond-style graphic of a French chair in a rifle sight.

Actually, come to think of it, maybe that's my first art project for my new Etsy enterprise! On second thought, nobody but you guys would get it... sigh.

hello gorgeous said...

You are so hilarious (Velvet Goldmine, indeed). Loved the title.