Recent Posts

Thursday, October 9, 2008

Did he get the memo?

I do love Isaac Mizrahi, but sister is a leetle out of touch. Interviewed on WNYC recently about style tips for a recession depression economy, Mizrahi proffered the following nuggets of wisdom:

1. Discounts Are for Suckers
“Never buy anything that’s on sale. That’s always junk. … You’re just buying it because it’s cheap.”

2. Shop Constantly
“If you need clothes, don’t go shopping.” The best purchases are serendipitous! “If you need an evening dress, a fabulous evening dress, you’re never gonna find one.”

3. Splurge on Shoes
“Honestly, it starts with the shoes.” Preferably some “giant fetish shoes.”

4. Splurge on a Hairstylist
“Go to the guy you can’t afford.”

5. Spoiling Yourself Is Worth It
“If you go once and buy something expensive, a) it makes you into a wonderful object; and b) it educates.”

Bless his heart.

Via The Moment blog at New York Times online.

9 comments:

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

I have a desire to give him a smack ! What a wanker!

hello gorgeous said...

Honest to god. Don't get all high and mighty, Isaac (although I love you), your stuff is at Target (although I love Target and the concept of design for everyone).

He's just trying to remind people he's a real designer by reciting the real designer rhetoric.

Katie said...

haha. I saw the same interview on the Today show. Alone in my room, I scoffed every time he ended a sentence. I wish he could've heard me. "If you see an evening dress you love, just buy it. You'll need one eventually." In whose world and with whose money??
"Go to the hairdresser you can't afford because you'll get a great haircut that you can keep for years." Riiight. Because after I get that really expensive haircut, I won't be able to afford another haircut for, like, a year. And then my next hairdress will have no idea what haircut I had in the first place and we'll have to start from scratch. Sorry, Isaac. I don't think you understand the meaning of living paycheck to paycheck.

erin@designcrisis said...

If never bought anything on sale, I would be naked and sleeping on the floor.

That wouldn't make anyone happy.

Raina said...

What strikes me as odd is that Mizrahi was recently made creative director of Liz Claiborne and you'd think he'd be promoting Liz as the (relatively) frugal fashion answer.

I bet he and Tim Gunn (chief creative officer for Claiborne's entire portfolio of brands) tangle on a regular basis.

PutzFrau said...

Oh sure, easy for him to say...he's living the gay mans dream!

nkp said...

Someone needs to whip him up a plate of reality! Must be nice...

karly / design crisis said...

my fetish shoes and designer haircut are going to look fab next to my cardboard box house

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I am most creeped out by the concept that buying something expensive "makes you into a wonderful object." There are so many things profoundly wrong with that statement that I don't even know where to start.