Recent Posts

Monday, October 20, 2008

Fondant-acular!

- a teddy bear for The Pea -

Last night was Cake Decorating Night! Instructor Terri taught us how to roll out fondant, color fondant, cut fondant, quilt fondant, and emboss fondant. The last two items really only involved pressing plastic bits into the fondant.

I forgot my knife and neglected to make up Bagley glue (simple adhesive made of microwaved fondant and water). Terri was not pleased with me. Terri sternly reminded me that Bagley glue was my homework assignment, and I hung my head in shame. I will never again let Terri down.

Towards the end of class, Terri let us know that in the upcoming weeks we would be practicing our new skills on Christmas-themed projects. Santas, angels, snowmen, jingle bells. Um...for those of you new to the blog, I'm Jewish. I asked if I could use Hanukkah motifs and Terri thought that was just fabulous. Turns out Terri is a big fan of Jewish cooking and is going to bring in her recipes to discuss with me. Whaddayaknow?

I fully expect that by the end of class in December, I will be able to create a masterpiece like this:

-"The Nightmare Before Christmas" wedding cake -

9 comments:

Katie said...

Anything's possible, right? Maybe you're a cake decorating prodigy. If you make anything remotely close to that Nightmare Before Christmas cake, you need to post a picture on here.

erin@designcrisis said...

Do you think the fondant would melt if you mailed one of your fabulous creations to Austin???

Raina said...

How 'bout a fondant diorama with Longo prints, an Yves Klein table, some gold bits for Karly, a graffiti-ed armoire, and a couple of industrial pendant lights?

sherri said...

You are kicking ass in your class it looks like.

Raina said...

You're sweet, Sherri. I thought it was a little lame. I want to create fondant fabulousness, not Kroger cake toppers!

I'm so impatient.

Debi said...

yeah - we want more pictures. The idea of special orders sounds fabulous. Can you make me an Obama cake for election night? Ask Terri about that one...lol

hello gorgeous said...

The Ace of Cakes guy has nothing on you, baby.

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

Im not really one who gets excited by cakes - but you are making me turn ever so slightly!

Cristin said...

That's so cool...