Recent Posts

Saturday, October 25, 2008

Have you seen "Mean Girls?"

I wholly and completely give the lovely Sherri over at The Claw credit for unearthing this little gem of an article in Harper's Bazaar about Top Chef host Padma Lakshmi's East Village apartment. And, yep, that would be a swing in her living room. I immediately thought to myself "I bet Harvey Weinstein had that put in." What does the article have to say? "A businessman friend had it made for her after she searched, without luck, for one on Craigslist and eBay." Uh huh.

Padma also makes a point of passive aggressively slamming previous Top Chef host Katie Lee. "'She's a nice girl,' says Lakshmi, 'but she was ill prepared for it. I think a lot of it wasn't Katie's fault. The producers really wanted me and didn't get me, and it's hard for anyone to come into those shoes. But I don't think she's suffering at all.'" How gracious of you, Padma.

Then comparing herself to the better-known reality TV stars Heidi Klum and Tyra Banks, Lakshmi goes all kitty catty a second time. "'I wasn't a Sports Illustrated model. I was much more a couture girl. I'm sure that those girls made a shitload more money than I did,' she explains. 'It's with great humility that I say that those girls have achieved a lot.'" Damn, girl. Jealous much?

I do lurve her closet though.

11 comments:

hello gorgeous said...

Oh, you didn't see the swing in my living room? Does this mean we can't be friends? :-)

Raina said...

Actually, I think the idea is kinda fun. But to be photographed on it for a high fashion magazine in a fringed dishtowel while doing your best "eff me" face is another thing.

Fifi Flowers said...

I LOVE that closet! LOVE that dress hanging there too! I must visit you more often!

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

um, the REST of the room looks a bit of alright!!

erin@designcrisis said...

Salman Rushdie used to be such an amazing author until he started hanging out with U2 and dating Padma. His books are total self indulgent crap now, and I'm blaming it on her because my adolescent side still has a soft spot for U2.

Also, I would love to have a swing in my living room. Or maybe I just want to have a living room big enough for a swing.

erin@designcrisis said...

Oh, BTW, what happened to Wendy Himford? I wanted to comment on that one...

PutzFrau said...

I have to roll my eyes everytime I see her "judge" food on Top Chef....I mean I find it really hard to believe that she LOVES food so much and is THAT skinny. It just goes against the laws of nature.

Raina said...

Erin, your wish is my command. I'm still struggling with trying to keep this a design blog. ;)

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

fringed dishtowel = brilliantly accurate.

word ver: persout. "Forsooth" in French.

Jesse said...

I'd like to touch on the mere idea of having a chair in my closet. That implies a wealth of closet space I can't even comprehend at this point in my life. Much less the need to sit down in said closet to gaze intently upon so very very many clothes. "oooohhh what to wear" I'd say, since for once I'd have more than three pairs of jeans, and apparently at least 10 bags, to choose from. *sigh*

Raina said...

Hi Jesse and welcome! I'm intrigued by how many pairs of black pants she owns (upper right cubby).