Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

I'm speechless

- Brigid Berlin's "Cock Book" with an entry from Jean Michel Basquiat -

New York Social Diary's "The Way They Live" recently visited former Factory receptionist and BFF of Andy Warhol, Brigid Berlin. A woman of extremes, Berlin was a socialite born to wealth and privilege who would mind the front desk of Warhol's art cooperative working prim needlepoints while also indulging in drugs and creating risque art. Berlin would dip her chest in multiple colors of paint to create "tit" paintings and badgered artists and pop culture icons to contribute to her "Cock Book," a collection of phallic illustrations.

Berlin's home is WASP fantasyland of florals, plaids, needlepoint pillows and rugs, snuff and enameled boxes, decoupage, pug ephemera, slipcovers, gimp, tassels, and trim. Think Sister Parish to the 10th power.






P.S. NerF, will this do for Mario Buatta-esque?

11 comments:

hello gorgeous said...

That cock book? That must be why when I was at the Brandywine River Museum for an Andy Warhol and Jamie Wyeth exhibit, there was a drawing of a naked guy, which was not his usual thing. Wonder if he contributed to that book?

sherri said...

Not sure how to comment on the cock book but that woman's home is making me physically ill and feel as if I have vertigo.

WV: acksess

As in Berlin has ack!sess to too many knickknacks.

ok, I just got another WV: b/c of my horrible typo ability. This one,

elitedr (elite dr.?)

erin@designcrisis said...

Wow, that is a truly vile home. Except, of course, I like the red wallpaper. But this make Buatta look tastefully minimal.

She seems like an interesting person, though.

Raina said...

HG, Warhol did contribute and unsigned drawing to the book. I wonder if it's the same one?

Raina said...

I just can't make the connect between this woman's personality and her style of decor. It's almost like she's living in carefully constructed Disney exhibit, The World of WASP. Surely she has a gimp room behind one of those doors.

PutzFrau said...

At first I thought the home was boring and grandma'ish. Then I scrolled down and looked at the pics and I like it. It's very old lady eccentric.

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

she certainly has an eclectic home!
And I'm thinking she is a dog lady!

Kate said...

I'm thinking this house has very small yappy dogs and the whiff of pee, but that could be coming from the unseen secret 'gimp' room.
its kind of perversely appealing in a really macabre 'tales of the unexpected' way.

erin@designcrisis said...

Whiff of pee." "World of WASP." Already this home has provided immense entertainment!

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

Wow I didn't think anything could be worse than Buatta, but how wrong I was. This is just sheer insanity. I think the entrance to the gimp room lies behind one of those paintings. You have to touch the correct pug figurine, and then the painting swings out to reveal the opening.

(Or at least, that's how you access MY gimp room).

daydream believer said...

Looks like the home in 'Burnt Offerings'. "Would Mrs. Allardyce like some tea?"