Recent Posts

Wednesday, October 29, 2008

Modernist architectural masterpiece for sale

Richard Neutra's Kauffman House in Palm Springs has been re-listed at $12.975 million after a deal at auction in May fell through. The home built in 1946 measures nearly 3200 with five bedrooms and six bathrooms and sits on a 2.53 acre lot. The current owners purchased the house in 1993 for $1.5 million and estimate they have put $11 million into restoration, period landscaping, and acquiring adjacent property.

Takers, anyone?



[The Los Angeles Times]

6 comments:

hello gorgeous said...

That's beautiful.

I bought the 1959 movie, "A Summer Place," just for the beach house that stars in it (this reminds me of it).

sherri said...

I am hyperventilating with lust over that one.

WV: resti

As in, I want to take a long "resti" at that place.

erin@designcrisis said...

Hideous. Just hideous. I mean, who would want to live in an original 40's modernist masterpiece in Palm Springs? With floor to ceiling windows? And a natural stone wall? And GIANT retractable doors that open to the outside? Gag!

At least, that's what I'm telling myself, because the price may be *wee* bit out of my range.

PutzFrau said...

The ONLY good thing about Palm Springs is all the mid-century architecture. And the gays.
But thats it.

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

I would've snapped it up - but with current state of the Aussie dollar it may as well now be $50 billion!

mel@lushpad.com said...

Beautiful. I want it!!!