Recent Posts

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Yay for xenophobia!



Ever heard of the great Tran-Tasman Rivalry? No? Well, you probably wouldn't have unless you've visited either New Zealand or Australia. Kiwis and Australians generally loathe each other and this spills over into many facets of daily life. Take this ad for Kiwibank comparing the predominance of Australian-owned banks in NZ to the need for an Allied Resistance type response.

A few explanations:
1. Yes, the Kiwi woman is bound to a chair. Subsequent ads actually feature prison torture.
2. The little green car with the loudspeakers is the Kiwibank mascot.
3. "Whakatane" is pronounced "Fuck-uh-tuh-neh." I kid you not.
4. "...to the shy and sensitive personal trainers of Ponsonby." That's a homophobic slam. Ponsonby is the gay area of Auckland. Kiwis aren't terribly PC.

I'm guessing that after watching you still can't tell much of a difference between Kiwi and Aussie accents. Me either and I've lived here a year.

9 comments:

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

oh you are hurting me now!
when i think of a witty retort - i will stop by again and let you have it!!!!

*great add! Hilarious!!

Raina said...

3M, this post wasn't meant to be anti-Aussie. I think the Ditch rivalry is hilarious and fed by Kiwi insecurity.

It reminds me of anti-Kentucky jokes in my home state of Indiana. Uh, note to Hoosiers. The rest of the US sees both states as breeding grounds for redneck hicks.

Suzy said...

just ask a kiwi and an aussie to say the number "6" and if you are laughing, it's the kiwi...

Camilla @ Designalogue said...

Ive still got nothin...
(one of those days!!!)
but feeling the love again!!!!

Raina said...

Suzy, That's true! It's all in the vowels.

To the American ear, the two accents sound similar. But then, I'm from Indiana and am mistaken for a Canadian every time I open my mouth here.

hello gorgeous said...

I did know about the rivalry, just not the official name of it. Ha.

I was looking to buy a house for sale by owner once and the people were moving "back home" they said. Due to her accent I asked, "Australia?" And she became very offended and said, "No, New Zealand." She briefly explained my faux pas and the rivalry between the two.

Also, I couldn't understand any of that commercial. :-) I need to practice my listening skills.

Raina said...

HG, it took us several months of living here before we could follow a conversation without asking someone to repeat themselves.

Kiwis have very rich vowels.

erin@designcrisis said...

Reminds me of the Flight of the Conchords episode where the street vendor refuses to serve the guys until he realizes they aren't Australian, but Kiwis.

Hilarious!

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

well, she sounds just like Lucy Lawless and that's how I know she's kiwi. That's really my litmus test. Close eyes, squint, think about Lucy Lawless (or, okay fine I admit it, D'Anna Biers from BSG).