Recent Posts

Monday, October 27, 2008

Oh dreidel, dreidel, dreidel

The Pea has contracted my sinus grossness and was sent home from daycare this afternoon. She was in desperate need of a pick-me-up, so I gave her one of her Hanukkah presents a little early. The Fisher-Price Little People Hanukkah Play Set comes with a family of figures, little presents, a mini kitchen, and a table with a menorah that lights up and plays the Dreidel Song. It was the first gift my husband bought for her when we found out I was expecting.

Lately, we've been reading books about Hanukkah to get ready for the holiday (December 21st at sundown). She was too young last year to participate, but this Hanukkah she'll have latkes fun! Ahem.

7 comments:

erin@designcrisis said...

I am stunned by my ignorance. I may have learned more about Hanukkah through the Pea's play set than anywhere else in my life...

Here's what I can tell: Hanukkah looks delicious. Is that too flip?

PutzFrau said...

I think Pea's play set also just taught me about Hanukkah.

Raina said...

Not flip at all. Hanukkah celebrates the restoration of the Temple after a long battle and the miracle of one night's lamp oil lasting eight nights. So foods fried in oil top the Hanukkah menu. How great is that?!

The little table in the set shows plates of latkes (potato panckaes), gelt (chocolate coins given to children), wine, and a loaf of challah bread.

If you've never tried challah, go to Trader Joe's and pick up a loaf. You'll thank me. It also makes kickass french toast.

erin@designcrisis said...

Oh, I have had challah french toast and it was INCREDIBLE. It was at a brunch and the cook had soaked it in eggs and cream overnight... YUM.

Can you tell where my priorities lay?

Also, how do you pronounce "Challah?"

ps: there is no Trader Joe's in Austin (that I know of). Yep.

Raina said...

What no Trader Joe's? You must be kidding.

Damn, I just checked their website and there aren't any in Texas.

Pronounced "hah-lah," emphasis on the first syllable.

sherri said...

Raina, keep informing us, I love hearing about all of the Jewish traditions. I can say "La Chaim!" properly, when toasting, learned from a Jewish friend, but that's it. And that playset is too adorable. And...love your throw pillows.

Raina said...

Oh, thank you Ms. Sherri. The brown one is Thomas Paul and the other is olive velvet flocked linen from Kas Australia.

And I'm relieved that I'm not boring you with the flotsam and jetsam of my life. I still struggle to keep this joint design relevant.