Recent Posts

Wednesday, December 17, 2008

He applied every one of the 48,762 cubic zirconias

Retired orthopedic surgeon, Dr. Anthony Walter, has nearly completed a decorative homage to his wife in their South Texas (surprise!) home. "Meant to teach others how to achieve God’s salvation through marital love," the home was custom-built in 2003 in the Southampton suburb of Houston "where several jailed Enron executives have impressive homes."

After contracting Hepatitis B from a patient during surgery, Dr. Walter spent his difficult and prolonged recovery learning figural painting and what he calls "compositry," the molding of architectural accents out of polyurethane to mimic decorative woodcarving. Dr. Walter set about building a showcase for his newly acquired decorative talents that would incorporate "elements of Versailles, the Vatican and St. Paul’s Cathedral. 'I wanted to live in an extremely beautiful space like the museums, palazzos and churches in Europe.'"

"Dr. Walter says he hopes that his artistry will inspire others to devote themselves to their spouses and to God."

"'The Bible is confusing the way it’s laid out,'" says Dr. Walter. "'I want to visually depict its teachings so that everyone can understand and experience it.'" Several church groups have already toured the home which Dr. Walter plans to open to the public upon completion.

"Dr. Walter said he tried to interest curators at the Museum of Fine Arts, Houston, in his project, perhaps to make it a satellite decorative arts museum," but they politely declined. Dr. Walter proclaims, "'I am a huge threat because what I have done renders everything they have junk [...] I hope that doesn’t sound arrogant but the reaction of people who come in here tells me the power of it.'"

So what does Mrs. Walter, a retired lawyer, think of the sparkly encrusted Baroque tribute? '''I get a little embarrassed sometimes, [...b]ut it certainly makes me feel special.'"

[The New York Times]

13 comments:

Debi said...

wow - I could think of other - more productive ways for him to use some of that energy. HE did all that himself? My goodness

hello gorgeous said...

Definitely grounds for divorce...

Alexis said...

Oh my!

Raina said...

Dr. Dude,

Um...that certainly is some kind of, eh, frustration, you're channeling there.

With love and understanding,

Mrs. Obvious

Kate said...

True, but I'd rather live with him than the rather austere person who lives with the ladders in your earlier post. He looks way more fun, and look what he can do with a bit of polyurethane. Versatile.

Robin said...

A bit too rococco for me, too, thanks. Although the bedroom could work if you took out the red velvet, mahogony furniture and pseudo tapestries and replaced with lots of white linen and simpler lines -- they could look kind of cool with the chandy and the plaster relief on the ceiling. Oh, and take the Dr out of the bedroom too and replace with John Hamm from Mad Men.

David said...

Museum of Fine Arts wasn't interested? Shocker.

I have a huge love/hate thing with Texas. I love that when they go, they go big. But everything is so God-flavored...such a bummer.

Raina said...

David, does "God-flavored" taste like hummus and Manischewitz?

Kate said...

I'm sorry, I had to come again to have a second look because I couldnt quite believe it the first time.
I missed the bit about the Museum of Fine Art before, possibly because I was sniggering too hard.
Still impressed by his polyurethane skills though.

karly / design crisis said...

1. Raina, Austin recently erected a clean-lined, sky-high fence along all of it's borders to keep all other Texans out.

2. I wanted to feel bad for this guy after reading about his bad hospital visit but then when he got all snappy with the MoFA folks I started to hate him

3. Is this how the interpretation of stories in the bible evolve? It's like one big bedazzled game of telephone.

nkp said...

Bless his heart (that's southern-speak for meshugana), I need an aspirin. There's just no shortage of crazy out there.

erin@designcrisis said...

Raina, "God flavored" tastes like barbecue brisket, hence my vegetarian diet.

I also meant to warn you against moving to Houston... it's not called the armpit of the south for nothing.

woodley park-zoo said...

If BBQ is Godliness, then consider me a convert. I'm devastated I can't find KC Masterpiece Lays anymore...

I was totally thinking Taj Mahal, when it was some sort of love-thing.