Recent Posts

Friday, December 19, 2008

Just found out

Claude and François-Xavier Lalanne, date unknown.

François-Xavier Lalanne, sculptor of surrealistic animal objets and furniture, died on December 7th at his home in the village of Ury, south of Paris. Lalanne turned interior design on its ear when, in 1964, he created a rhinoceraus-shaped secretary. A zoo full of creatures followed including his most famous creations, "Moutons," 24 sheep figures meant to serve as stools or seats.

Lalanne counted Max Ernst, Man Ray, Marcel Duchamp, and Constantin Brancusi (with whom he shared studio space) as artistic influences. Lalanne is survived by his wife and artistic partner of more than 40 years, Claude.

Life magazine, 1967.

Life magazine, 1967.

"Table aux Antilopes, 2004."

"Hippopotame II (bar), 1976."

9 comments:

erin@designcrisis said...

RIP, little buddy. Hope you left me that golden Rhino desk in your will...

nkp said...

What a creative genius. I have always had a strange fondness for those sheep and that antelope table is nifty. We have a cast iron bull table in our entry bought at auction (not his), it's something I never thought would grab my attention, but I couldn't resist it!

woodley park-zoo said...

I want a mouton SO BADLY... someday... someday...

Today I went to my mom's house-construction site where they are re-doing her house, and I was SO SAD to find that my big brass giraffe (maybe 5' tall), which has been in the family since I was little and I was planning to steal for my own house someday... was gone. Fuckin' workers probably threw it out! ARGH!!

Raina said...

NKP - You should post a photo, I'd love to see it!

WPZ - Those bastards! May they spend eternity in the flocked velvet wallpaper room of Hell.

nkp said...

WPZ- what assholes! I second Raina's comment above! (BTW Raina...nice pic)

The Nerdy Fashionista said...

I want that gold antelope table!

hello gorgeous said...

A hippopotamus walks into a bar...or is it a man walks into a hippopotamus bar...?

PutzFrau said...

That desk is awesome!

Lisduff-Green said...

There was a Smithsonian Magazine article called Risible but Visible or some such name; haven't been able to locate it. It described the LaLannes electroplating process which I've been looking for and again been unable to find. If you know of the process I'd be obliged.

thurles@hotmail.com