Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 28, 2009

How to tell if your decorator charges too much


From snippy society decorator Bunny Williams: "When my husband [antiques dealer John Rosselli] and I designed our vacation house in the Dominican Republic, I was able to build what was, for me, a dream come true — a china room. It's about 13 feet wide by 16 feet long, and the cabinets have sliding glass doors and are lit from the inside. We love to entertain, and setting a table is so much easier when you can see everything! With that island in the middle, I take things out and experiment: Wouldn't this green leaf plate look great with those purple glasses?"

That would be a 208 square foot china room at a vacation home in a country with an annual average income of less than US$1500.

[House Beautiful]

12 comments:

Decorina said...

Which planet is it that these people live on? People with names like Bunny will be needing to hide (possibly in the china room) in their mansions when this depression bottoms out. When that happens she will be selecting china to show off her latest meal of, say, cake.

erin@designcrisis said...

The room even looks like a wasp nest. How fitting.

Robin said...

In a place with such an extreme "have/have not" economy, she probably figures she contributes much by hiring Rosario and Luis to clean the place for her.

After reading the NYT article, I must say, I would not mind having someone like her come to my apartment and tell me what to put where, etc. I think I could put up with the flaunted pedigree for a little while for that kind of advice.

W/V = "unkid". Is that like "uncola"?

susie q said...

Yuck. Bunny, keep these things to yourself.

Raina said...

Oh, Robin, Miss Bunny would tell you EXACTLY where to put your treasures.

jess@thehomebound said...

Here, here. I'll toast to that scolding. What nerve people have. A damn china room! Get over yourself lady.

Raina said...

Hola Jess! Welcome and thanks for stopping by.

hello gorgeous said...

A China Room in the D.R.?

Oy.

karly / design crisis said...

i worked on an island one summer where most of the inhabitants shared their last names with a major american brand. First names included: Bananny (she liked bananas), Criffo (short for Christopher, duh), and Scooner (we love sailing!). Common items to find on said island: ancestral portraits painted by Dali hiding in basements, cars for every day of the week, and, of course, china rooms.

Despite the fact that they were ALL republicans, most of them were very nice people.

Kate said...

That is scarily ostentatious. Do you think she has Ikea +365?

Raina said...

I doubt Bunny's ever stepped foot in an Ikea.

Sidenote - I lurve Ikea.

Alexis said...

What I really want is Candy Spelling's gift wrapping room.