Recent Posts

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Michelle Obama's inaugural gown

The New York Times.

From 26-year-old design wunderkind Jason Wu. Your thoughts?

[The Huffington Post]

Update: A little more info about the design process: Wu was contacted in November by Chicago boutique owner Ikram Goldman (Michelle Obama's unofficial stylist) to "create a dress for an unspecified 'formal occasion.' [Wu] says he didn’t dare to think too much about what it could be for. The only instruction Ms. Goldman gave him, he says, was that the dress should 'sparkle.'

Mr. Wu, who says he worked around the clock for a week to complete the dress by mid-December, did the dress as a one-of-a-kind piece for Mrs. Obama and doesn’t plan to reproduce versions of it for sale. (Mr. Wu, who fronted the cost of creating the dress, is donating the piece to the Smithsonian, which collects First Ladies’ inaugural ball gowns.) 'This can’t be replicated–it will never appear in any form in my collection,' he says. 'It has to be special.'"

[The Wall Street Journal]

17 comments:

Alicia B Designs said...

woah. surprisingly, I hate it. I really loved her yellow jacket though during the day today.

Robin said...

I love the fabric. I hate the one-shoulder-thing.

My word verification is "panti"

hello gorgeous said...

She can wear whatever she wants. Even if it's channeling Wilma Flintstone.

erin@designcrisis said...

Hmmm... I really like it, and didn't care for her inauguration outfit.

Fashion is so subjective!

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

With him as her accessory - she can pull anything off!!

Raina said...

So true, 3M, so true.

Decorina said...

I've loved both dresses today, but really really like the white dress for the dance. One shoulder and all.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I'm with hello gorgeous and Camilla. whatever she wears, I couldn't imagine thinking anything negative today

karly / design-crisis.com said...

PS did you hear that wunderkind didn't even know she was wearing his dress until she walked out on stage?

Raina said...

Same deal with Isabel Toledo and the lemongrass lace daysuit. Both Toledo and Wu were given measurements and told that several other designers would also be creating ensembles.

Whether that is true or not, I've not heard. Can you imagine having several magnificent suits and gowns laid out before you from which to choose?

L said...

Too frou-frou for her personality and body. Pretty, but not right for her.

Raina said...

Hello there L and welcome to this deliciousness.

only a movie said...

Just watching the video of her dancing in that dress with her husband sort of stopped me in my tracks.
Oh my.
The dress is ok. Whatever.

hello gorgeous said...

For the record, I think she's gorgeous and have yet to see her in anything that hasn't worked. <3 them

karly / design-crisis.com said...

i heard an interview with Wu late last night (i was glued to the tv all day) and he confirmed that he did not know she was wearing his dress until she walked out in it. Apparently he started screaming and crying. .. Pretty cute

David said...

It's absolutely not what I was expecting, which is what I love about her. I also love that the biggest names in fashion were prepared to make her dress and she went with a relative unknown.

Isabel Toledo and JCrew gloves. Proves that it's not just about what you wear, but how you wear it.

I'm totally crushing on the entire First Family, I'll stop now.

Awesome Sara said...

she looks like she is getting married. it is a pretty wedding dress. that yellow suit thing she wore was gross. that yellow made her look chalky. i think thats the word. but besides the yellow suit she does have pretty good style.