Recent Posts

Wednesday, January 7, 2009

Oh baby

"Emily and Her Pink Things, 2005"

Photographer JeongMee Yoon's current work, "The Pink and Blue Project," explores children's preferences for traditional gender-specific colors as well as ideas of gender socialization and identity.

Spurred by her five-year-old daughter's insistance on wearing only pink clothing, Yoon began documenting the environments of children from diverse cultures. The artist found that "phenomenon is widespread among children of various ethnic groups regardless of their cultural backgrounds."

Yoon's work also "raises other issues, such as the relationship between gender and consumerism, urbanization, the globalization of consumerism and the new capitalism."

"Jimin and His Blue Things, 2007"

[JeongMee Yoon]

13 comments:

Jon A said...

The pink pic isn't working ... :(

Raina said...

Thanks for the heads up, Jon. Seems blogger is having a problem. I will work on it...

erin@designcrisis said...

I think I will have to solve this gender issue by dressing our tyke only in black.

Jon A said...

I love Blogger, but absolutely hate how fickle it can be with pictures.

karly hand - identity crisis said...

After teaching my child every dirty word in the book, I'm going to force him to pick one color that will be assigned to him for life. Then I will take lots of pictures while he's sampling the colorful new language I've provided him with. I'm not kidding.

Raina said...

Sounds like the next leader of the free world, Karly.

I'm totally serious.

Robin said...

I was a contrary child and preferred purple.

nkp said...

That's quite fascinating. So what do I do with my three-year-old son who loves, and I mean LOVES, pink? Personally, it doesn't bother me in the least...the other day he wanted a pink and purple suitcase on wheels and you know what, he got it!

Raina said...

NKP, I think he and Karly's bairn will rule the world. Oh, and Erin's little Gummi Bear too.

karly hand - identity crisis said...

NKP, you're so awesome! yay for buying the suitcase!

magpiesandmagnolias said...

For some reason these pictures really annoy me but I can't exactly put my finger on why.

Raina said...

M&M, Is it the sheer amount of stuff these kids have?

PutzFrau said...

I'm terrified of the pink aisle in Toys R Us. Always have been.

Can I somehow make my daughter dislike pink? Hope so.