Recent Posts

Wednesday, February 4, 2009

Have you learned nothing, Elle Decor?

So the new issue of Elle Decor is up online - sort of. The cover shot and table of contents are posted but without any article links (except for that crap Top Design winner).

Does Ms. Russell think that limiting online content will force people to buy copies at the newsstand? It won't, but it will limit the web exposure Elle Decor receives from blog discussion. I'm not about to trot down to Borders to pay $18 for an air-freighted copy to scan.

If you are at all interested in a peek at March issue of Elle Decor, pop over to Design Crisis. The ever sassy Karly spent the better part of her weekend scanning pages from ED and Metropolitan Home for a side-by-side shelter mag smackdown.

Update: A revamped Elle Decor/Metropolitan Home website went up Thursday (2/12). Much better looking and easier to navigate, though the same content protocol remains - almost nothing from ED and nearly total feature publication from MetHome.

10 comments:

hmstrjam said...

yeah 'crap' top design winner sums it up!

citysage said...

You're not missing ANYTHING! I went to the bookstore to pick it up and it was full of such poop that I put it back down on the shelf and bought cooking light instead. the photos looked like they'd been taken by a catalogue photographer circa 1990. honestly, I wouldn't be surprised to see this one go down the tubes too...

Now if only I could get my hands on a copy of Inside Out here in the states!

Raina said...

Inside Out and Belle are two Australian shelter mags that would sell stacks of copies in the US. I've heard you can't get either, even air-freighted.

Belle doesn't have a website and IO's is limited.

I'm saving all of my copies of both titles to bring back.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

I have just picked up my new copy of Inside Out and about to make a cup of tea & devour it! They recently did a well needed make over - I for one was VERY sick of seeing scandi furniture in EVERY house bi-month after bi-month! This issue the houses look far more interesting...ooh need to get me into it NOW!

WV: puctingl - interesting?!!!!

susieq said...

I actually like this month's Elle Decor. Lots of textiles and a bohemian vibe. However, I've always hated the pointclickhome.com website. Terrible web design -- rotten navigation and search capability. Plus, I don't like that they lump Elle Decor with the other pubs. By the way, Inside Out is available at my local (Atlanta) Borders and Barnes & Noble.

susieq said...

Oh! Forgot to add that the Top Design winner's apartment is glaringly awful. Waste of space!

Raina said...

Thanks for that info about I.O., SusieQ. I'd hate to think I can't read that mag any more when I return Stateside. At least there's a slim chance I'll be able to track it down.

erin@designcrisis said...

Thanks for the shout out! That Karly is a crafty lady.

I've stopped buying shelter mags because... they're lame. Ok, I do like elle decor UK and living etc. Wish we could get Belle here!!!

hello gorgeous said...

I actually thought you'd like this issue. It's got that Moroccan vibe you like, imo. I loved the Buckingham kitchen, of course, but I was saving the rest for you to post.

I don't actually know if not having a free website with all the content from the magazine is such a bad idea though. (Did you understand that with all those double negatives? Wow.)

karly / design-crisis.com said...

thanks for the shout out sister, and the scanning acknowledgment! I think all magazines are just a little better with a touch of karly and raina