Recent Posts

Tuesday, February 17, 2009

Photos of my "office"

The lovely Camilla Molders ("3M" as she's known here) from Designalogue tagged me for a somewhat revealing post. The first request is "Show a picture of your desk." Well, since we live in a tiny house I had to give up any notion of a proper office. I sit on the sofa with my new-ish laptop, tippy tapping design snark for your enjoyment.

Here are pictures of our living room (the posting of which is long overdue). The good news is The Pea is at daycare today, so I can get all of the geegaws and whatnots out of storage and temporarily decorate as if I was not the mother of a 2-year-old.

We bought a big sectional when we first arrived to accommodate our long frames (I'm 5'9" and LB is 6'2"). I snuggle in the corner every morning to see what's happening in the world and work on my blogs.

At LB's end, we have a couple of throw pillows that have so far managed to remain stain-free. I found the table in a thrift store in college and refinished it. During its 18 years with me, it's been an end table, a coffee table, and has sat at my bedside. The framed leopard scarf on the wall was a favorite of my maternal grandmother. She was hell on wheels.

The two small figures are old British colonial toys. The photo is The Pea at 5 months. The chubby fellow was $7 from a discount store, and my father picked up the Ganesh figure during a business trip to India. I found the pottery lamp at a garage sale four years ago.

The chair is from a now-defunct furniture company I used to carry in my interiors shop. The basket holds the most recent copies of my favorite shelter magazines. And don't give me any grief about that ancient Urban Outfitters pillow. I love it with all my heart.

LB ruled out getting a coffee table until Pea is a little older, which I'm taking to mean when we return Stateside in July. He is fearful of her running into it and knocking her noggin. She has instead beaned herself on the TV console once and the living room doorjamb twice.

Usually the living room looks like this - one Pea and zero decorative elements.


The second part of the tag request is "Open the 6th folder on your computer, open the 6th photo and blog it." My sixth folder is labeled "Outdoors" and the sixth photo is one I unearthed over the weekend. Now I know the style of this setting will come as a complete surprise to regular Lamp Shade readers. Because I rarely post anything marocaine.

Office for Word and Image.

13 comments:

woodley park-zoo said...

Nice office! I especially love the lil' assistant you got there.

Debi said...

Very nice - you should also post a look down the driveway...and up the hill!! Won't you miss the tiny house - even just a little? :)

Raina said...

I did post the exterior of the house awhile back (last photo):

http://ifthelampshadefits.blogspot.com/2008/09/kiwi-architecture.html

I do like the look and layout of the house. I wish it wasn't falling apart and that it had about 20-30% more square footage. Oh well, soon enough we'll be packing up.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

And so now I know!!! Seems like a good spot to pour out the sass!!

nkp said...

What a great space Raina, especially for temporary digs! I love that white basket with the magazines, a fitting storage spot for those treasures. I think I remember you blogging about it once. I also love that sassy green table that has been your longtime companion, another great score!

Okay, I've got to comment on your vertical stats...from what jewish giants do you descend? Holy cow, we are of the typical small variety, all 5'1 of me. *Sigh*, my MIL is all of 4'11, I worry for these boys of mine.

Love the post, thanks for the glimpse!

hello gorgeous said...

I remember when all the accoutrement were put away - no coffee table, etc. (or maybe it had rounded corners?).

I love the idea of framing that scarf that means so much to you.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

That's the best temporary space I've ever seen! I can't believe you hauled all that (awesome) stuff to NZ! My house doesn't look that finished and I moved here from 2 miles away. scheesh.

susieq said...

What a wonderful place to think, see, write, create. Love those massive windows. { And the Pea is adorable! }

sherri said...

I'd love to blog from there. We haven't had a coffee table in almost four years. And I won't even get started on how lacking in design our living room is. I love the framed scarf and its sentimental value as well.

erin@designcrisis said...

What?! I can't even have a coffee table???

This ain't gonna work.

But I do especially love your arc lamp (swoon!), the wicker basket, and the framed leopard scarf. Your Grandma and my Grandma would have been fast friends, I can tell.

go said...

pea is so teeeeeeeeny!!!!!!! what gorgeous views you have. i love your sofa and that chair.

re: deadly coffee tables, how about an ottoman?

Raina said...

I should have mentioned that photo of The Pea is a year old.

And I've gone this long without a coffee table, I think I can hold out a few more months. I'm not a big fan of ottomans as coffee tables.

Designers' Brew said...

that Pea is so cute. And your house is lovely. Huge shock there, obvi.