Recent Posts

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Your chance to own a piece of music history

The Santa Ynez Valley.

Now if you scroll down a scooch, you may be wondering what the hell is going on. Well, more than 2000 pieces of Michael Jackson's personal effects are hitting the auction block. These items, which include stage costumes, recording industry awards, amusement park rides, vehicles, and home furnishings, come from Jackson's Neverland Ranch north of Santa Barbara and are being sold to settle his massive debts.

So why am I interested in this story, other than than obvious train wreck quality? I was living in the Santa Ynez Valley in 1988 when Jackson bought the ranch, located about 10 minutes from my house. I worked part-time in a clothing boutique located in the loft of a feed and milling company (yeah, the Santa Barbara area is like that).

Jackson bought the feed for his menagerie of animals there and had the strangest delivery requirements. He demanded the deliveries be made by one driver (usually two were needed for orders of that size), the same driver make the deliveries each time, and that the driver be supervised by ranch personnel when unloading the truck. I should mention that many celebrities, including Bo Derek and John McEnroe, had ranches in the area and weren't nearly as nutty about deliveries.

Anywhoo, back to our story. Auctioneers spent nearly two months at the ranch cataloguing the items which will be sold in April at a four-day public auction in Los Angeles. In March, select lots will be sent on a publicity tour to Dublin and London to drum up interest. Given the current economic climate, it will be interesting to see the response to this gilded excess.

A painting featuring iconic figures sporting Jackson's sunglasses and glove. Estimate $1000-$2000.

A carved swing featuring scenic wild animal panels. Estimate $1200-1800.

A mirrored recreation of Frankenstein's castle. Estimate $1000-$2000.

An out-sized marble chess set. Estimate $2000-$3000.

[The Guardian via Gawker]

18 comments:

only a movie said...

He's a freak.

I lived in Lompoc from 90-92. I remember the helicopters when Elizabeth Taylor had here wedding at his ranch.

Fun post, Raina.

Raina said...

Oh man, we just missed each other! I moved away in May of 1990.

How many times did you venture over to Solvang for fried Danish dough balls?

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Oh that swing is deeeevoine! Seems such a bargain!

susieq said...

Ick! Fun post - horrid objects.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I LIVE for this sort of nutty gossip. I remember reading somewhere (hotel babylon?) that MJ travels everywhere with his personal chef, no biggy, but... the weird part is that he had said chef make him such delicacies as chicken nuggets, mac and cheese, PBJ and not much else. Nothing but kids food?!

Also, I'd totally throw down a grand for that sunglass painting

only a movie said...

Lots of Solvang trips. Also, loved watching Sideways for the trip down memory lane...

Raina said...

Oh, I drove my husband crazy when we saw that.

"I've been there!"

"I know where that is!"

"I've eaten at that restaurant."

Such a goof.

Robin said...

Another example for the "money can't buy taste" file.

Debi said...

total freak - and would hate to think of MJ when looking at the items...I am sure they will go fast!

*moggit girls said...

Wow, the guy is sicker than we thought...
that swing is FUG.

J&J

hello gorgeous said...

I see these going, going, gone to Japan. Don't they still love him there?

Appropo w/v: messes. I kid you not.

David said...

Heinous. Every last object.

sherri said...

is that sunglass painting real? wow. ET with the glove looking all prince of pop pensive is my fave.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

back off sherri, the painting is mine, the doggone painting is mine

erin@designcrisis said...

If I wasn't afraid that MJ might have a camera mounted behind those sunglasses, I might be interested in the painting for our nursery.

But, for the reasons mentioned above, nevermind.

Decorina said...

That is some scary stuff...

And, a note about that castle: It is rumored that it was owned / built by an infantile. Which I can totally see the MJ being. How about the time he showed up in court in his pj's?

woodley park-zoo said...

Late to comment, but seriously, some of this stuff you'd almost think would be estimated at a higher price, seeing as it belonged to a celebrity, but it's just TOO DAMN UGLY to desire, right?

BTW I've been to Solvang (I lived in Goleta when I was a weeeeeee one) but how did I miss out on FRIED. Danish. Dough. Balls?!

Raina said...

"Aebleskiver" - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%86bleskiver