Recent Posts

Sunday, March 1, 2009

Kiwi police stations have bars

Twenty-eight police stations around New Zealand have their own bars on premise. And I don't mean the ones on the prisoners' cells. I'm talking about the kind with bar stools and a guy named "Pete" who'll serve you a tall cold one. I'm gonna let you ponder that for a moment...

Hey! Nice to have you back.

Police stations built since 2005 may not have on-site drinking establishments but are allowed beer fridges or liquor cabinets.

Is it July yet?

[The Christchurch Press]

12 comments:

Leigh said...

WHAAAAT?????

only a movie said...

Interesting...

hello gorgeous said...

Oh, good. I was worried they wouldn't be able to have liquor and guns at the same time.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

HA! I spent a summer on a very very small island with 2 cops on duty, on any given night, if you had an emergency, you could just head to the one local bar to find them both

Robin said...

I take it that NZ does not have a comprehensive DWI prevention program, given that those who would enforce it may also be guilty of it?

How appropriate: my W/V is "goons"

Raina said...

There are PSAs and the occasional drunk-driving checkpoints, but it's a huge cultural hurdle to overcome. And the checkpoints are viewed as income generators rather than behavioral deterrents.

hmstrjam said...

figures!!

erin@designcrisis said...

Sorry, still mesmerized by the precious kitteh!

Kate said...

I'm trying really hard to get my head around the logic of it all. I've tried all morning, but I'm just more confused than ever.
This part of the world really bewilders me. Not just sometimes, but often.

Raina said...

Me too, Dearheart, me too.

Alexis said...

That's a riot!

nkp said...

Makes me want to go to NZ yesterday! They seem like such friendly, welcoming folk.