Recent Posts

Sunday, March 8, 2009

Rocks, paper, scissors

Irish jeweler Tom Binns has come up with a recession-minded, if not entirely practical, collection. His "Get Real" pieces are made of laminated photos of sumptuous jewels and fastened with a safety pin. The collection bowed this weekend at Colette in Paris and most pieces retail for $125.

Binns recently received the White House nod when Michelle Obama donned his "Pearls in Peril" necklace at last month's Governors Ball. How big of a deal is this? A couple of Binn's other pieces are shown below. Would Laura Bush have worn this jewelry designer? Yeah, no.


[Style File]

7 comments:

Cristin said...

The Obamas are just stunning... stunning I say....

David said...

Our first lady works out and isn't afraid of showing off her arms and shoulders. Nor is she afraid of young designers. Or big jewelry.

I've begun referring to her as Mrs. Obama. I'm totally crushing.

only a movie said...

I agree w/ my sister. That photo might be making my day.

Also, my sister needs one of those winged necklaces for Friday writing inspiration...

M said...

Think Tom Binns work is Fantastic, Mrs. Obamma Looks FAB! and the death skull ring reminds me of the Damian Hirst diamond encrusted skull.

ashley english said...

Pearls In Peril is gorgeous and all, but personally, I think Mrs. O would have made fabulous "Oh Yes We Can, and you better believe I just Did!" headlines if she'd donned the silver-winged F-bomb and skull ring for the governors ball. Now THAT'S change I can believe in! Found your blog through designer's brew and I love it!!!

Raina said...

LMAO, Ashley English! Yes, that would have been 14 shades of awesome.

Welcome to this deliciousness!

sherri said...

Michelle Obama's hips make me proud to be a woman. She is so awesome.