Recent Posts

Saturday, March 21, 2009

Silly wabbit

Here's The Pea wearing her pants on her head pretending to be a bunny with long ears. As I snapped the first picture, she became all kinds of excited and insisted on being photographed with every one of her Fisher-Price Little People figures. Which are many in number. She is holding the lesbian who runs the wee farmers market next to the barn. Pea has also learned the word "queen" but uses it in the royal rather than the fierce sense. *sigh* There is so much I must teach this child.

On a related note, LB and I were reminiscing earlier about Pea's grand entrance into the world. She was the second baby born on New Year's Day in our county by about 30 minutes. We were a little disappointed with the timing but didn't think much more about it. Late in the day, a nurse came to our room and asked if we would like to be featured in the local paper. Confused, we asked if all of the New Year babies were being included in a story.

Uh, no. This request came from the city's Christian Conservative giveaway rag. The editor was less than pleased that the first baby of the New Year was born to unwed parents of different races and that the mother had three other children by different fathers. So he was going to pretend that child was never born and instead write about the next baby in line.

Which would be The Pea. A child born to a Jewish mother and a father of Syrian descent who, in a matter of months, would be moving to a country on the other side of the planet because her parents desperately wished to escape Bush's Amerika. We asked the nurse to tell the nutjob we declined to be interviewed, and we never found out if the third child was a charm. We weren't about to waste our energies looking for the January issue of "The Liberty Tree" at Wal-mart.

15 comments:

only a movie said...

"She is holding the lesbian who runs the wee farmers market next to the barn. Pea has also learned the word "queen" but uses it in the royal rather than the fierce sense. *sigh* There is so much I must teach this child."

Girl scout cookie crumbs all over my damn keyboard.

Kate said...

me too, except I was never a girl scout.
Pea will learn and learn quickly, I have no doubt.

M said...

That's just to CUTE!

hello gorgeous said...

No offense to the Pea who is beyond adorable, but I was spying in the background at your raspberry? dining chairs? Um, pictures, svp?

I didn't realize you really left on purpose to escape Amerika. Wow. You're my hero.

Raina said...

HG, you can see them a bit better in this post:

tp://ifthelampshadefits.blogspot.com/2008/09/warning-for-erin.html

They're cheapos from Crate and Barrel and the paint chips like crazy. I'm going to sell them before we leave.

But thanks for thinking they're cool.

nkp said...

Oh, the Pea is adorable, you're hilarious, and I just spit-up my coffee...it's all good.

I bet play time is a lot more fun at your house then it is at mine..."the lesbian who runs the wee farmer's market next to the barn"...classic! I will never look at an action figure the same way again.

Fill in the blank, Raina, ..."Luke Skywalker the...

Awesome Sara said...

she is just absolutely adorable! i think i just grew a heart.

Raina said...

Hmmm, NKP. Luke Skywalker shared that unfortunate kiss with Leia, so he's probably still torn up with conflicted feelings and has become a family therapist to work through it all. A family therapist who wears white pajamas.

griffo68 said...

Pea is just so cute!

Your lesbian comment had me howling with laughter! A classic comment!

Cristin said...

I started laughing at the "Lesbian who runs the Wee farmers market"
and you lost me after that....

you crack me the f up.

gracie o said...

like everyone else here, the lesbian line killed me. she is too adorbs...and i'm proud that you guys declined!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I'm going to take a number on that lesbian / farmer's market line, that is the BEST. When I have kids will you come identify all their toys, pretty please?

Also, good for you for passing on that news story, although it would have been a pretty hilarious piece of memorabilia

sherri said...

the wee lesbian from the little people needs to meet peppermint patty and run a coop.

WV- striking - as in That Pea is one striking toddler.

citysage said...

Jeez--where were you living? Sounds remarkably similar to the Georgia backwater that I spent part of my childhood in...

But you're coming back soon, right?! It's getting better here, I promise!

Raina said...

Indiana, Anne. Just south of Indianapolis.

Hopefully, we're coming back in July. Still waiting to hear...