Recent Posts

Wednesday, March 4, 2009

Trina Turk's new home accessory line disappoints

Last week, Apartment Therapy reported on fashion designer Trina Turk's new home accessory line for Peking Handicraft. This news dismays me for two reasons. First, Peking Handicraft has a reputation for being decidedly not on-trend. They are the manufacturers of the many hideous rooster, dog breed, and Christmas-themed needlepoint pillows and rugs you see in every gift shop from Bangor to Barstow.

Second, this collection is a huge disappointment when compared to Turk's superlative fabric line for Schumacher. Will someone please contact me with the date this David Hicks-ian geometry trend will end? I need to plan a party. With cupcakes.

The rug on the right doesn't burn my retinas like the throw pillows, but it does look like something Urban Outfitters does for much less.

Would you have guessed from the aforementioned home collection that this is Trina Turk's living room? Me neither.

9 comments:

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I don't hate it quite as much as you do, but it does look like something you could find at any Target, therefore, you would not find it in my home.

I am really excited about the cupcakes, though

Alicia B Designs said...

MINE! I'm making cupcakes already!

M said...

Raina don't forgett a reciprocal link at the end of the blog when you're ranting;)

Is that a shipping pallet under the rug in the first picture???

Raina said...

You crack me up, M.

Good eye - it is indeed a pallet. That photo was taken at market and Peking isn't one for high-end displays. I've seen them leave items wrapped in plastic and nail to the wall. Klassy.

Kate said...

It brings to mind something my great grandmother used to say to me.
"Do as I say, not as I do"

Those cushions.... Why do they scream to be paired with marble and gold lions head tap faucets?
Or is it just me they remind of '80s Versace?

erin@designcrisis said...

Cheap and tacky.

Oh, and I would love a marble bathroom with gold lions head faucets...

Ok, so "cheap and tacky" might be relative terms.

David said...

I'm the wrong bettor again, I like the geometric throw pillows.

Raina said...

Good friends can agree to disagree, David.

Designers' Brew said...

I remember that feature on her home, I think I tore out every page.