Recent Posts

Monday, April 20, 2009

A movie I'm really looking forward to

Tuesday morning confession: I'm a huge Meryl Streep fan. The woman can do no wrong in my book, though I've not seen "Mamma Mia." My favorite Streep film is "Sophie's Choice" - clichéd I know. (From experience, I can tell you that watching this movie when 8-months pregnant is not wise nor recommended.)

Opening in early August is Streep's newest movie "Julie & Julia," the true story of a blogger, Julie Powell, who attempted to cook every recipe in Julia Child's 734-page classic "Master the Art of French Cooking" in one year's time. Clever set design and wardrobe tricks visually stretch Streep's 5'6" frame to convincingly resemble the 6'2" Child. I trolled the interwebs for a clip of Streep doing The Voice but came up with bupkes.

Here is Streep as Child in her Paris kitchen during the 1950s. Child studied at Le Cordon Bleu and started her own cooking school during her husband's diplomatic post in France. How excited am I to see scenes of gourmet cooking in mid-century Paris? VERY.

And because this is an interior design blog, I am throwing in a couple of shots of Child's Cambridge, Massachusetts home featured in the August 1976 issue of Architectural Digest.


In 2001, Child moved to a retirement community in Santa Barbara and donated her kitchen, which served as the set for her three television shows, to the Smithsonian's Natural Museum of American History. Julia Child passed away in 2004, two days shy of her 92nd birthday.

16 comments:

Alexis said...

Meryl Streep is perfection!

g. said...

I am with you. She is in a class by herself. I cannot wait.

Awesome Sara said...

meryl is truely awesome.

thehomebound said...

Looking forward to this as well!

Cristin said...

I liked watching Julia Child... but that's because I thought she was drunk all the time...

Kate said...

I've never heard of Julia Child, but I'm now really looking forward to seeing the movie, styling looks fantastic.
Picture of her home look properly like 'home' too.

Robin said...

I am also really looking forward to this movie, but have to hurry up and read the book before it comes out (I can never read it after, then I am stuck with the actors as the characters in my head). I did enjoy Julia's bio of her life in France, she was a fascinating woman.

And Meryl is awesome. This very minute I am watching The Devil Wears Prada and loving her with the white hair (esp the scene with no makeup, that took guts).

Robin said...

PS - here is what her Cambridge kitchen looks like now: http://bird-in-the-hand.blogspot.com/2008/07/bon-appetit.html

Raina said...

Thanks for that, Robin! The new kitchen is 14 shades of gorgeous.

Lotta said...

Agreed! Love both Meryl and Julia. Read Julias biography, autobiography? awhile back and loved it.

Baglady said...

I too love Meryl (and I watched Devil Wears Prada last night as well. Love it).

I've never seen any Julia Child's cook books but I did read Julia and Julia - the book of the blog where a New Yorker tried to cook from Julia's book every night. Very entertaining.

pillow mint said...

Love Meryl Streep! (however, I can't recommend Mamma Mia. Let's just say it was not her best!)
That being said, I think she will redeem herself with the Julia Child film. Looks fantastic!
I'll have to get the book for my mom -perfect Mother's Day present!

Daine said...

Do yourself a favor and pass on Mama Mia, just trust me on this... I too am a fan of MS.

erin@designcrisis said...

Ditto Daine. It is an eye stabbing experience.

Loved Sophie's Choice, but thanks for the warning. Will not rewatch that one anytime soon.

nkp said...

I love this. I read both books, Julie and Julia and her biography about her life in France some time ago and highly recommend them. I didn't know about this movie, but am totally psyched to see it. I think MS is a great choice. Thanks for the great post!

sherri said...

I, too,love Meryl. I have never seen Sophie's Choice, I think it would make me a tad upset, even not preggo. This new movie of hers looks fantastic!