Recent Posts

Saturday, May 16, 2009

Could someone please explain


...the design world's current fascination with the Union Jack? I understand Britain's flag has a bit higher cool factor than the Stars & Stripes, which tends to make one think of Ralph Lauren on a good day and NASCAR on a bad one. Surely I'm not the only one who's noticed it popping up in every shelter magazine from here to the outer reaches of the Old Empire.

I've lived in England and thought it was lovely, but I wouldn't have a decorative pillow with its flag on my sofa because it wasn't the country of my birth or upbringing.

Oh, the above is Jonathan Adler's head-scratching homage to his husband's birthplace.

15 comments:

Decorina said...

I think the rug is just stupid.

But I associate NASCAR with the stars and bars, not the stars and stripes...rednecks, beer, stars and bars. No thanks.

pillow mint said...

HA! I saw this yesterday and immediately thought, "Oh god, what's Raina gonna say about this?!"

Where the hell would someone use this rug?

hmstrjam said...

real kitsch, let your freak flag fly

Tikimama said...

Yeah, I'm an anglophile from way back, but I don't decorate with the Union Jack...or any flag, for that matter.

And I agree with Decorina - just stupid.

House of Slappy said...

An ambitious idea gone horribly awry.

clorivak said...

totally ugged. I think flags as home decor is tacky.

drollgirl said...

very def leppard. BARF.

Kate said...

Being a Brit I can safely say I have no comprehension of the the current love of the union jack. In fact its just a bit embarrassing.
Plus it makes one ugly zebra.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Yes i noticed! I was hoping if i didnt say anything it would just go away!

Designers' Brew said...

Aw I love it (the flag, not the rug). 'Sokay, if we always agreed it would be scary.

susieq said...

I'm in the I-love-Union-Jacks camp. But I've never decorated with one. Would kill for a Rug Company UJ pillow. But never ever a Union Jack in the shape of a zebra rug.

Lee said...

Ha, you think that's bad, Re-Found Objects has a whole 'Great Britain' section! Truly gone overboard!!

See: http://www.re-foundobjects.com/category/view/30

That rug is just nasty.

Raina said...

Wowzers, Lee, that is a lot of Union Jack.

erin@designcrisis said...

I think I may be forever against any red, white and blue combo, thanks to Bush and Co. Sorry, Union Jack, but you're just too close to comfort for me.

And that rug?????????? Now, Jonathan Adler has never set himself up as a serious decorator, but I think home dude just jumped the shark.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I don't know erin, do you remember last season's pot leaf jars?