Recent Posts

Sunday, May 3, 2009

One of my favorite furniture designers

I am a huge fan of Israeli furniture designer Arik Ben Simhon's work. Ben Simhon describes his aesthetic as a mash-up of 1930s movement photography, Chesterfield upholstery, 1970s fashion, and the padding of sports equipment. His pieces tick all of my boxes for superlative design - louche comfort, a Kubrick vision of the future, and an unexpected use of materials.

Ben Simhon's new introductions for last month's Milan Design Week featured futuristic riffs on hockey and skateboard protective gear as well as Japanese and African influences. His toddler feeding chair (last photo) is 14 shades of awesome with its Jaime Hayon-esque "ears."




9 comments:

g. said...

That rocker is amazing.

Kate said...

Pimp my high chair!

drollgirl said...

i'll take the black couch and black chair and weaved chair up top! super super SUPER!!!!!

Leigh said...

Those Toddler Feeding Chairs are too amazing. I love all his stuff though -- truly original and fresh-looking design with plenty of irreverence and fun mixed in.

erin@designcrisis said...

Whoa, have never heard of this guy, but he's going on the awesome list. I'll take the couch, the rockers, the shiny gold slipcovered chair, one of the mousey highchairs... all of it, actually.

Alexis said...

I might have to design a house around that shiny gold chair. I think it would change my whole life...

karly / design-crisis.com said...

I don't know a single person who would want those horrid gold chairs.

NOT!

I'll take them both thankyouverymuch

hmstrjam said...

i always pictured myself sitting on Twiggy's gold plastic pleather boots...

nkp said...

I've been a fan too...really.good.stuff! Like of the blow my mind variety!!! *sigh*