Recent Posts

Friday, June 5, 2009

Flea's Malibu house

I have never been a fan of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, if for no other reason than Anthony Kiedis cannot carry a tune. But after seeing photos of bassist Flea's (Michael Balzary) Malibu home, I may reconsider.

Built in 1980 and sensitively updated last year, this 2700-square-foot home was recently listed for $13.6 million and features four bedrooms, four baths, two guesthouses, and a private road. It has unobstructed ocean views and a lawn big enough for a private rock concert. There is also the requisite outdoor living room and kitchen.

But what impresses me most is how normal the place is. The closest thing to a pretentious piece of designer furniture is a tomato red Ligne Roset Togo lounge pit in the kitchen. I could move in there tomorrow and be as happy as Jonathan Adler at Jacqueline Susann's garage sale. I tried to capture more shots, but the flash player on the realtor's website moves too damn fast.


[Los Angeles Times]

14 comments:

ajt said...

It's perfection. (I'm ignoring the price tag.) I've watched the slideshow no less than 10x now.

David said...

I saw it on Realestalker, and it really is grounded, yet spectacular, all at once. If I moved in there I'd never leave.

Kate said...

I'm off to watch the slide show because its gorgeous....
I dont think I'd leave either, it looks like a proper home.

Cristin said...

the ceiling.. can't stop looking at the ceiling... Hubby approves, and that's sayin' somethin'.

drollgirl said...

that place is amazing!!!! ach! just incredible.

and anthony keidis has the flattest voice in the world. it is right up there with nico (velvet underground) and lou reed. oy.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Oh you hold your tongue lady!
Blood sugar sex magic was my teen anthem album and I know every word! -and clearly I was a committed fan as I haven't heard an album since!!

Raina said...

Hello AJT and welcome to this deliciousness!

Jenny said...

His house is normal because he has all the weird shit on his body.

lucitebox said...

...as happy as Jonathan Adler at Jacqueline Susann's garage sale.

This is the funniest thing I've read in a long time. Raina, you slay me.

nkp said...

Love the band, LOVE the house...big fan of both! I'm surprised as well and impressed. Wow!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

Just finished watching the slideshow and I have to go lay down now. Who the hell sets their slides to move so fast? As amazing as the house is, i had to stop before it was done because my eyes started hurting

Alexis said...

I don't like the RHCPs either, but nice to see that Flea has taste!

PutzFrau said...

Flea is actually way more cultured then you would think. His roots is in jazz and is a incredible trumpet player.

erin@designcrisis said...

I am still trying to process $13.6m for 2700 sq ft. Now THAT is dizzying.