Recent Posts

Thursday, June 11, 2009

A Gay old home

Writer Gay Talese has lived in his home on New York's Upper East Side since 1958. He first rented a 1 1/2 room fifth-floor walk-up, and then added other apartments as his family expanded.

"There was no breaking through to connect apartments in those days. So the Taleses kept those first 1½ rooms on the third floor for their bedroom, and they turned another 1½ rooms on the second floor into a nursery, complete with a nanny. The parlor floor became their sitting room. Each of the apartments had its own entrance and its own set of keys."

In 1973, having worked their way up to renting five of the seven available apartments, Talese and his book editor wife Nan bought the building. Talese is currently working on a book about his 50-year marriage.

This is the dining room and I like it very much.

[New York Post]

9 comments:

only a movie said...

I like it very much as well.

Cristin said...

I would like my children to have their own apartments, with their own nannies... yes, that sounds lovely.

sherri said...

I'm in too. I love that wallpaper.

karly / design-crisis.com said...

That is the Gayest thing I've ever heard. And by gay I mean merry and fucking awesome.

Alexis said...

I really want that wallpaper.

M said...

Digging the table and chairs, Hating the wallpaper!

nath said...

yes, please. the wallpaper is amazing. and the furniture. and the very idea of being able to buy a whole building in New York's Upper East Side? well, that, is the stuff of fantasies.

Eden Rose said...

Loving that wallpaper! Isnt the dining room a little small considering they own the entire building?? Jealous moi? never.

nkp said...

I like it very, VERY much as well!
Brother's got it goin' on. And to think, I was just up in his hood today, shoulda stopped by and said hello! ;0)