Recent Posts

Sunday, August 23, 2009

And she's off!

So today was the first day in about two months I've had all to myself. And how did I spend it? Like you have to ask.

I set out exploring Denver's vintage sources and found a great store, Lee Alex Decor, filled with all manner of lovelies from the 1940s through the early 1980s. The sweet chair above was hanging out all by its lonesome in the corner, the button-tufted little wallflower of the shop. I took pity on it and made it mine.

I also checked out the local branch of the Brass Armadillo. If you have one of these in your city, you know it's acre upon acre of crap. Like those yard sales you cruise by and roll your eyes at. The only item that piqued my interest was this enormous bison head. Yep, it's the real deal and has a price tag of $2100. Dumplings, I'm not one for mounted beasties but, damn, if he doesn't just take the cake.

10 comments:

nkp said...

Nice buy! Is the upholstery in good shape or are you going to work some magic on it? I love that tubular wrap around base.

Kate said...

Thats a beautiful chair but I want that bison head in my hallway!

Raina said...

NKP - It's actually in pretty good shape and not at all stinky.

It will do for a while until I get a hankerin' for a shot of color.

susieq said...

Yay! Glad the decor festivities have begun. I love the chair!

David said...

Nice find! I'm so going to enjoy watching your home take shape.

Debi said...

Not sure about the Bison head - but he is pretty intriguing! Glad you got the chance to start working on filling up that gorgeous house!

ticklishfromadistance said...

Love the chair just like it is, from your pic, anyway. Lord, he's a big ole bison. Look at his head next to the blue bowl! He is a force...was a force. Now I am sad. Love the chair.

sherri said...

love the chair, great find! glad you had time to yourself. isn't it amazing?

karly / design-crisis.com said...

That chair is awesome! A pair of those would look amazing next to the coke-glass side table I just bought for my bedroom. (pictures will be posted once it arrives from my mom's house in VA)

BTW, I have a bushel of mismatched chairs that I've bought over time, all with the intention of recovering. I haven't lost interest in the projects, it's just that after having them around for so long I get used to their fabrics and I lose sight of what would look best on them. Do you ever have that problem?

Raina said...

Karly - I totally forgot to answer your question.

I don't tend to accumulate stuff. I have a "one thing in, one thing out" policy at our house. Except we got rid of so much before we left NZ, that now it will be "four things in, four more things in."

Maybe you could put all of your chairs in the guest room for a couple of weeks (get them out before I arrive please) and then place them one at a time where you think you'd like them to stay.

You will see each one with new eyes.