Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 22, 2009

The first of many before & afters

Holy guacamole, am I tired. Our first week in the new house has been spent cleaning, tossing out trash, cleaning, repairing the plumbing, cleaning, finishing the unpacking, and cleaning. Do you get how dirty this place is? I can't believe anyone could live like this. The kitchen job alone tore through 16 Magic Erasers and a 24-pack of Swiffer wet cloths.

To help plow through it all, my parents arrived Saturday. Yesterday, Pops went into home improvement overdrive, replacing the fan in the master bath and hanging two light fixtures. He rewired the entry's new Moroccan brass lantern, replacing an awful Tiffany-esque piece better suited to a low rent pool hall.

The ceiling fan in the dining area of the kitchen was also replaced (who puts such a thing over a dining table?).

The new light fixture was to be my mea culpa to Z Gallerie. I found the Fiji Hanging Lamp on their website while cruising for blog post material and thought it very un-Zoinks. So I zipped over to their Cherry Creek store to take a look - it was too fab.

As I was driving home with a new Fiji fixture in my trunk, I thought "I'm going to have to write a long post apologizing for every nasty thing I've ever blogged about Zoinks." Well, we put it up yesterday and when I reached to get the inner diffuser shade, I saw that all of its suspension rods were broken. Stupid Z Gallerie.

Pops thinks he can fix it. If not, I'm taking the diffuser back to the store and raising hell. If this is indicative of the quality of Z Gallerie's merchandise, it's no wonder they're in bankruptcy.

Last week, Susie of Eye Spy asked what furniture I had in mind for this area. The table is from my old home furnishings store. I've had it forever - it traveled with us to New Zealand and back. I'm ordering 6 Tobias chairs from IKEA to go with it. Groovy 1970s styling meets superior clean-ability.

Stay tuned for more before & afters as work progresses...

Update: Zoinks replaced the diffuser after a wee bit of hassle. The associate wanted me to return the entire fixture. I told him it was already installed and then he relented.

26 comments:

pillow mint said...

i'm exhausted just thinking about what you've been tackling.
it goes without saying that everything you've pictured looks fabulous!!
tell us about that dark area in the ceiling where the new brass lantern is. is that a sky-light?!
love the before and afters!! thanks for taking the time to post them.

Sophie said...

Girl, you need a mani/pedi and a cold cocktail.

I love the new brass lantern. It works like a dream in that spot. I'm with pm and want to know about the black recess. And, the Z gallerie pendant is perfection. Well, almost. I hope your dad can fix those rods. Everything is really coming together and it looks gorgeous. Keep the before/after photos coming -- they are thrilling!

susieq said...

Oops. The above comment was Susie.

Raina said...

PM and Susie - The recess is a skylight lined with smoked glass. It creates the most lovely moody effect.

nkp said...

Love it all. Every single bit. Keep it coming!

And promise you'll take a moment to put your feetz up!

Waxy said...

Looking good! I know what you mean about how do people live like this? I couldn't believe the amount of dirt and crud left behind by the previous owners of my house...feels good to get that initial clean done though!

only a movie said...

Loving the barbie dream house updates... and have yourself a nice glass of wine when the Pea goes to bed. I'm tired just reading this!

magpiesandmagnolias said...

People in TX put ceiling fans in every room, especially kitchens! That sucker gets hot in the summer!

amy @ switz~art said...

i am tired for you, girl! but, as you know, this is so worth the effort! this place rocks my world!

that fiji lamp is excellent, but it pisses me off when you get something home and its busted. go, pops, go!

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Scrubbin away the previous owners bad juju - gonna get you a good lovin pad instead!

Pam Kersting said...

Woo and Hooo! Let the fun begin! Love the lantern in the foyer and also the new fixture in the dining room. I also recognize that chair in the corner of the dining room. Will you leave it there? Good luck -- can't wait to watch your progress!

Raina said...

That was the cleanest safest part of the house to park the chair, Pam. I'm not sure where it will end up yet.

Designers' Brew said...

Love the Zoinks fixture--can't believe it was busted! Bastards.

Robin said...

I would never have guessed that lamp was from ZG, it's too fab. It would look great above my DR table, too bad the closest ZG to me is in NC.

Hope you got most of the dirt, sounds like you need a rest!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

LOVE the UnZoinks fixture, I hope your Dad can fix it. so so glad you have family in to help with your massive project

A++ on the first before / afters, I can't wait to see more

Creepy said...

Loving that fixture.. hope it can be salvaged.

erin@designcrisis said...

Most excellent progress on all fronts! I hope you're able to squeeze in a cocktail between cleaning jobs. Vodka makes mopping so much more fun.

Daine said...

That is an awesome fixture. I just checked it out online. I am near a Z Gallerie too so I will see if I can purchase one for my kitchen. It's perfect! I get great service at my local store so I am sure they will help me out.

Love your posts! Great house, looking forward to more!

drollgirl said...

man, you guys are a house on fire! i know that is a terrible sentence, but you know what i mean.

this house of yours is going to be good. real good. you are a style maven, and i know you will make it just right!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

Hi Raina ; -) I have seen you around in comment threads, but am new to your blog. I love it.

You are my swap partner over at Sherri's. I've had some family drama this month and took a blog break, so I just found out.

Email me your mailing address and let me know whatkinds of stuff you like from Hawaii... We don't exactly have a Fall season, but we have some cool stuff. Little intimidating swapping to a designer ; -))))

me melodia said...

Hotness.

I want to hire you.

Jill said...

I'm really looking forward to more before/after posts. This house has such awesome glam potential!

sherri said...

that lantern is killah. cannot wait to see each transformation!

Alexis said...

Raina, you have seriously good taste and a great eye!

hello gorgeous said...

Love the lights! I have faith in Pops to repairs Zoinks fixtah.

Livinia Redlips said...

Your house is the swank pad - love it!