Recent Posts

Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Part three of the home tour

Now normally I wouldn't invite the world into my bedroom, but in the interest of good design I will make an exception. The master suite of our new home covers the entire top floor of the house.

The room's original custom headboard is intriguing but in terrible shape. I'm not even going to show you a close-up of it because I know you, Dumplings. You will try to convince me to save it and it's not possible. The window above features the same carved sheesham shutters as the dining room.

This is the view standing at the window. There is plenty of room for a seating area, possibly a small sofa or a loveseat and a chair. You may have noticed the abundance of closets. We have five in all, 3 wall and 2 walk-ins.

The woman who built this house must have been one helluva clotheshorse. All of the closets feature exquisitely crafted built-ins. There is no way we will ever have the wardrobe to fill two of these, let alone all five, so we are going to take out the closet with the mirrored doors. We will gain an extra two feet in the bedroom and a wall free of heating elements on which to place the bed.

This is the larger of the suite's two baths. It features a walk-in shower big enough for two and a jetted tub with a silver travertine surround.

This entire bathroom is in desperate need of a remodel. The fixtures are on their last leg and a major leak has caused a mold issue in the garage below. Depending on what the plumber finds, I may have a new bathroom sooner than I think (or budgeted for).

And tell me, is that foil wallpaper incredible or what?!?

This is the master study, accessed through a door in the hall or by passing through one of the walk-in closets. More travertine on the floor. The other full bath is through the door.

Originally, an archway on the wall to the right opened to the great room below. The arch was sloppily filled in to create a fourth bedroom, never mind that its closet is open to the master bedroom. LB would like to see the arch opened back up, but I'm not convinced. This is going to be my little retreat - peace and quiet are priorities.

20 comments:

susieq said...

Sick, sick, sick. I thought your new house was insane perfection before. But, now this? It’s utterly fabulous. I’m with LB -- you must open up that arch. It will be fascinating to see everything progress. So, keep your boudoir open to us readers -- we want to see it all! Oh, and I can clearly make out that custom headboard. I vote for restoring it!

hello gorgeous said...

That wallpaper? Yowza!

Congrats on the new PAD and, yes, it's a pad. :-)

What fun you will have there.

hello gorgeous said...

Oops - I meant to say Groovy pad.

Congrats again! This house was made for you.

amy @ switz~art said...

*gasp!* that study is like a secret room?! oh my, my!

i love that wallpaper...it's decadent!

i just adore this place, raina!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

Remember what i said before about guys having ideas and them being wrong? Keep the last room closed off.

When you do the bathroom remodel, does the paper have to go bye bye?

Also, did you draw a map of the house or do you just rely on bread crumbs to find your way around that massive beauty?

collyn said...

That wall paper is SO fab...I want some for the Regal Beagle!!!! Congrats...you have found quite a gem.

sherri said...

oooooooooh! we should all have sneaky master studies in our homes, how cool. lovin' your house more and more. don't forget to post a view from the front!

only a movie said...

Apparently my whole house can fit into your master suite as well as your great room.
Spectacular layout, Raina. What fun you will have!!!
xxoo

Raina said...

I would show the house's facade, Sherri, but bloggin' occasionally brings out the crazies. So it will just be interior shots.

nkp said...

It just gets better and better, doesn't it?!

Can you remodel the bath suite without messing with the hotness that is the wallpaper???

pillow mint said...

closet envy.

mirrors everywhere -- like a fun house!
Love it.

David said...

Room for a seating area, excess closets, dual baths and a separate study. I can't think of a single thing this house needs other than you to bring it back to life.

Seriously Raina, well chosen.

Rachel said...

Amazing!! Who needs the headboard with those carved sheesham shutters anyway. I think they are my favorite thing.

Creepy said...

too fun. and huge!!!

drollgirl said...

ok. here we go:

1) your new home is fucking gorgeous and amazing!
2) i am jealous!
3) i generally loathe wallpaper, but this wallpaper is FUCKING AWESOME
4) i curse too much in comments (and in life) and can't seem to stop. please forgive.
5) your comment on my blog today was 100 times better than my post, and i can admit that. :)

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Time warp house! I cant wait to see what you do to it!

megan said...

just popping in to say that this house feels sooo raina. can't wait to see what you do with it.

Robin said...

The wallpaper is to die. Bananas. Ah. Mazing. And every other Rachel Zoe comment I can't think of.

I think you should fund the bath remodel by allowing Fleetwood Mac to shoot a retro video in your house.

erin@designcrisis said...

You're keeping the wallpaper, right? Right? The bathroom reminds me of this fancy lady:

http://mdesignla.com/residential/residence_12/7.html

Glad you are knocking out the mirrored closet doors. I love me some bright and shiny, but not in the bedroom.

Oh, and can you spare an extra closet or six? I could fill all of them.

Designers' Brew said...

could you quote me a good rate to rent some of that storage space from you? Good lord! I can't wait to see what you do with it!