Recent Posts

Monday, September 14, 2009

Welcome to my new home!

Dumplings, as you read this we are closing on our new home. I know I've been teasing you for weeks with the briefest bits of information, but only because I didn't want to jinx the deal. I thank you for your patience and can now reveal what I'm calling our "Bat Mitzvah" project. This is an older home in need of much TLC, and our goal is to have it glorious in time for The Pea's bat mitzvah.

Built in the early 1970s, this house is part of a tiny enclave of 15 homes each connected to the next by a fence, creating an enormous communal backyard with two tennis courts and a gorgeous swimming pool.

I know little about the original homeowners other than they had an extraordinary singular vision when it came to creating their living space. I hope to find out more about them through research and by talking to our new neighbors. As you will see, this house was built to be a party place. So without further adieu, may I show you around?

I would like to welcome you into the foyer which features two large closets lined in silver ostrich wallpaper. [You may be thinking "Hold up - this looks familiar." Well, the seller came back and accepted our original offer with the condition that we pay closing costs. We happily agreed.] The mirrored wall opposite the double door entry is smoked glass. The skylight is sporting an unfortunate light fixture soon to be replaced with this brass lantern. And that would be a silver travertine floor. There are acres of it throughout the house.

To your right is the dining room. We will be turning it into a cozy study. The shutters are carved sheesham wood and the walls are covered in sueded wallpaper.

Around the corner and down a few steps is the great room with a built-in bar area. We will be drywalling over the outdated television nook to the right of the libation station.

The fireplace wall is painted brick. The double sliding doors lead to the patio. That would be brass trim and a gigantic mirror over the doors.

The bar counter features a hand-drawn global-inspired design. I will be updating the dark brown bar sink and the ancient ice maker which is currently held together with packing tape.

A close-up of the glass railings bordering the great room. Those panels are etched and drilled, Dumplings, not frosted.

This week will see a blur of boxes and packing paper, a possible contact high from various cleaning products, and most assuredly an incident with me passing out from hours of chasing after a curious Pea. Our tour will continue throughout the week with a few more posts I have ready in the queue. I hope you think the house tour was worth the wait. See you back tomorrow...

28 comments:

Kate said...

congratulations!
It is incredible!
A long, happy and very prosperous time in your new home. What a place for pea to grow up in.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

Congrats to you! What a house! I cant wait to see what you do with it!
So Im thinking - its a party house....Shall we host the first bi annual blog gang catch up by the pool?!!!

only a movie said...

It is a Barbie dream house. And I think my little carriage house can fit inside that great room.

Awesome and amazing and can't wait for more snaps!

xxoo

Creepy said...

holy crap.

party house indeed.

booking trip to denver.

David said...

YES!!! I knew that house had your name on it!

I couldn't be happier for you and LB and The Pea, and I can't wait to see what you do with it!

ticklishfromadistance said...

Holy crap is right! Is this for real? This is amazing! So utterly excited. Best always.

Debi said...

Congratulations - I am already dying for more pictures! I am still impressed you are doing all of this and STILL blogging. Are you really wonder woman? :)

Decorina said...

Congratulations, I'm happy for you and hope you have many happy years there.

sherri said...

So happy for you guys! Your new pad is divine.

Robin said...

Mazel tov! What fabulous digs, the shutters are fantastic. Cannot wait to see what you do with it!

amy @ switz~art said...

It absolutely was worth the wait!
Congrats to you, your boy and your beautiful Pea! So happy for you all! What an amazing dwelling, and I know it'll be even more fab when you're done with it! Cheers!

susieq said...

It's simply fabulous! So, so happy for you and your family! I adore this place -- and can't wait to read every word describing every update you make.

Designers' Brew said...

it's frakkin' amazing. Cannot WAIT to visit.

Cote de Texas said...

Mazel Tov - hey I didn't know you were a MOT! wow -!!!! me too.

your house is incredible. the back yard alone is to die for!

Sol Kawage said...

just WOW. How long till it's featured in some authoritative shelter magazine? or better... when is the Pea's bat mitzvah?

ChrisToronto said...

Joni said it, INCREDIBLE! Somebody up there likes you.

Raina said...

Sol - 2019. Think I'll have it all done by then? ;)

nkp said...

I got two words for you, Mazel Tov! I love every bit of it and hope your wonderful family finds great happiness in your new home sweet home.

lucitebox said...

Haven't been around much and I'm delighted to come back just in time to see your new digs!! FABULOUS! I can't wait to see how you make it yours.

fromtherightbank.com said...

Mazel Tov!!! It's an incredible find and I wish you and the family years of happiness in it!

Alison said...

Yay! I knew it would come back to you. It looks like such a fun place to make your own!

PutzFrau said...

Congrats Raina! Your house has such amazing light and is so open and BIG! I know you will enjoy every second decorating!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

Holy god you had me at brass trim and giant mirrors! I LOVE the name of your project, you're genius.

For the kitchen lighting: Guys always think things that are a little different are cool and they argue with you about changing them. Once you finally win (and you will) they will then bask in the heavenly glow of your reconstruction and begrudgingly admit that you were right.

Oh Raina, I'm so happy for you! And for me! I can't want to swim in that pool!!!

Jill said...

I'm late to this as I've been out of town...very COOL house, chica!! I can't wait to see what you do with it!

erin@designcrisis said...

Ah the pool, the smoked mirror, the brass trim, the CARVED WOOD SHUTTERS! Excuse me. I think I'm going to faint...

Real Estate Resuscitation said...

This house is / will be fantastic!! It looks as if it gives off good vibes.

Sharon

Naomi said...

Raina, I just found this post. So excited to discover more pics of your pad! How fabulous is your home!?

What's with the communal pool? Sounds like a bunch of hippies.

Raina Cox said...

Naomi - They were a bunch of hippies. This little neighborhood was built in the early 1970s. Sadly, none of the original owners remain.