Recent Posts

Tuesday, September 8, 2009

You light up my life

Monday afternoon we close on our new house, and that evening will be spent ferrying Prius-loads of stuff from our temporary digs (a company-provided apartment) to La Nueva Casa. We've spent the past couple of weeks attempting to personally jump-start the economy with all manner of home decor purchases.

I'm most excited about doing up The Pea's bedroom. Currently, the walls are covered in a coffee-on-tobacco geometric-patterned paper first installed during the Ford administration. Normally I'm cuckoo-for-Cocoa-Puffs over anything from that era, but even I was taken aback by said flourish (pictures coming next week).

One of my first projects will be to steam that nastiness off. I'm thinking a peach-y coral-y pink paint for the walls with the palest sky blue on the ceiling.

This weekend, we searched for a ceiling fixture because The Pea's room-to-be currently has one recessed can to light the entire space (I'm guessing the previous homeowners used several lamps). A trip to a local lighting showroom depressed the hell out of us. The choices were Tuscan traditional or Guido contemporary.

I came home in a funk and spent the next several hours scouring lighting websites. I found this little sweetie pie but it's about half the size we need:


I've wanted to use this one in a little girl's room for nearly forever, but with a price tag of $798 it will have to wait for a client with deeper pockets than mine.

This whimsical tole fixture is adorable but it is only marginally less salty at $625:


I jumped over to one of my favorite cheap-yet-stylish web decor sources, Urban Outfitters, and found the perfect one. May I present the Hong Kong Birdcage Lantern, soon to be appearing in Le Suite du Pois:

16 comments:

amy @ switz~art said...

This is a perfect example of more for less. I love The Pea's UO cage lamp far, far better than photo #3. Pics #1 and #2 are pretty fine!

Cannot wait to see this new abode! *squeal!*

nkp said...

It's so very sweet. So very Pea. So very perfect! I just love it.

Girl, I swear, between the emails and the posts I feel like I'm getting ready to move. So excited for you!

Robin said...

That birdcage is awesome and the price is awesome-r. Can't wait to see pics of the new abode, esp. the before/after variety.

Debi said...

yeah - lamps are tough. They are either really expensive, or just not the right look. I wish someone would figure that one out! :)

Love the lamps! Pea is going to have one cute room. All fingers and toes crossed that everything goes smoothly at the closing! Can't wait for the inside looks.

Debi

Eden Rose said...

I love the birdy light fitting! The price sucks :( can you not make one, i'm thinking srip the paper off an exsisting shade, use the frame and wrap chicken wire around, then suspend wire inside to fasten some little birds inside. I am not very DIY at all but that looks really easy to do. Good luck with the house move, so excited to see dodgy before shots. X

Raina said...

Someone else has already tried it, Eden Rose:

http://tinyurl.com/oaq9or

What do you think of the results?

karly / design-crisis.com said...

That remake is CRAP. I can say with 100% certainty that we could remake it almost exactly with much better results.

The one you chose, however, is perfect! I can't wait to see the pictures, I'm already loving it with the bedside table you chose.

You've already done more work to your house than I've done and I've lived here a year. Jealous.

David said...

The Pea is a lucky girl, I love the Hong Kong lantern.

I hate stripping wallpaper, so I'm feeling for you there.

SO looking forward to seeing the new house!

fromtherightbank.com said...

I would have gone with Guido contemporary myself but hey, to each his own. Le Pois' room is shaping up nicely.

sherri said...

cannot wait to see pics of the new pad! love that first light fixture (the too small one). Pea is so lucky to have a mom with such an eye, she will be taught from day one all that is dee-lish in design. will you adopt me and help me redo my whole house?

erin@designcrisis said...

I want to move in Pea's room. Lucky, lucky girl!

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

The first super cutie pie would satisfy my tactile needs!

only a movie said...

Very nicely done! Can't wait to see the photos. And how much did you crack me up telling off that old bird in the Mexican restaurant?

:-)

Eden Rose said...

Oh yeah, thats pretty poop actually. I'm sure you could do a better job then that. Maybe because it's in a matt cheap looking silver that it looks so bad?

Tiina of LiviaConcept said...

lovely things!!

susieq said...

Oh I just love that 'little sweeite pie.' Wonder if you could find a paper artist + commission something to your exact size needs?