Recent Posts

Thursday, October 15, 2009

A decorating zombie has risen

The New York Times reports that Rachel Ashwell's Shabby Chic line has risen from its grave thanks to an investment group who thinks the 20-year-old brand of everything twee and rosebuds still has some life in it.

*sigh*

Brand Sense Partners, an investment and marketing company which makes “Real Housewives” branded apparel and singer Sheryl Crow's denim line, will roll out a line of lower-priced upholstered pieces. They have also underwritten the opening of two new higher-end stores in Manhattan and Santa Monica, with another planned for London. These establishments are named "Shabby Chic Couture" to differentiate the two sister brands. Kind of like Prada and Miu Miu...but not.

The article goes on to quote Shabby devotees such as brothel manager Suzette Colette Cole (pictured above), who runs the Bunny Ranch in Carson City, Nevada. "Cole said she has all Ms. Ashwell’s books and endeavors 'to set my house just like them,' with chandeliers, vintage French furniture and Shabby Chic sheets. [...] 'I love my job, but I love to piddle at home and dream about going to Paris.'"

I'm guessing she finds Anthropologie too sophisticated.

[The New York Times]

16 comments:

nkp said...

You crack me up to no end! Hahahahahaha! "Kind of like....but not.". Exactly.

David said...

It's ironic that they would interview a brothel manager. A shabby chic bedroom is boner kryptonite.

susieq said...

Ditto, David.

Anne (in Reno) said...

Gag! That picture is now what I'm going to show people when they ask my why I never get stuff off of Craigslist. Welcome to the land of shabby not-chic. Aah Nevada.

Yana said...

ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew ew.

pillow mint said...

david - you are too funny!
how utterly strange that they would interview a brothel owner! I wonder what Ms. Ashwell thinks about that.
i'm *sighing* too -- i'd love to be underwritten for a store in london....

erin@designcrisis said...

"Brand Sense Partners, an investment and marketing company which makes “Real Housewives” branded apparel and singer Sheryl Crow's denim line..."

Well, that says it all. That and boner kryptonite.

only a movie said...

ouch

dsquared said...

My eyes! Oh my eyes!

Although if/when I'm down & out over the state of decorating affairs at my place, conjuring this image will surely snap me out of it..

(Hi, Raina..been following for week or so..new to this blog business but am thoroughly enjoying 'If the Lampshade Fits'! You're awesome!)

karly / design-crisis.com said...

That grown woman surrounded by bonnets, flowers and baby pinks probably doesn't have daddy issues at all.

Raina Cox said...

Hi ya Dsquared and welcome to this deliciousness!

Teri said...

I know that you are just thrilled by this news! A one stop shop for the new house. I can not wait to see what you do with all the ruffles and tiny flowers. ;)

Robin said...

Ugh! All that clutter! And you just no it doesn't get dusted often enough. A-choo!

ticklishfromadistance said...

I am at a loss after David's perfect words. Dead on!

House of Slappy said...

I wish there was a sarcasm font for 'Great'.

Leigh Chandler said...

Finally, someone with the courage to tell it like it is! If her "legion of fans" only knew how many small companies she bankrupted when she declared bankruptcy, they might not be such huge fans. She made out like a bandit, literally!