Recent Posts

Tuesday, October 13, 2009

I bet the neighbors are thrilled

This monster of a house has been bouncing around the blogosphere for a few months, but I hadn't seen it in situ until a few days ago. Um, wow. Look at the sizes of the homes surrounding it. *in a Chandler Bing voice* Could it be any bigger?

Completed in 2008 in a wealthy suburb of Kuala Lumpur, it was built to house three generations of the same family in 32,000 square feet (yeah, that comma is in the right place).

"The building includes nine bedrooms, two family rooms, a family kitchen and a private dining area, a family library, a game room, a study, a public reception area, a formal dining room, a ballroom, chapel, 21 bathrooms, a swimming pool, two guest suites plus indoor private and guest parking." What no private airstrip on the roof? Paupers!

This kitchen has convinced me I need a boulder as a center island when I remodel my kitchen in a couple of years.

And that I need to Levolor my entire house.

[The Cool Hunter]

12 comments:

Sol Kawage said...

hahhaa but as much as I would love a house with this degree of luxury, if I had to live with three generations of my family in it, I would top myself. Or just move into a tiny studio appartment with shared bathrooms.Or under a bridge for that matter.
What is Levolor?

Raina Cox said...

Sol - Levolor is an American brand of Venetian blinds.

amy @ switz~art said...

wow! what a place!

that boulder in the kitchen is impressive. speaking of which, below is a link to an artist here in canada that does kitchen stone work...i came across it after researching a headstone i saw in a local cemetery...sounds weird, but you'll see the headstone on his website...

http://www.waltrickli.com/selected_work.php

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

3 generations of one family living with in- i'd need it even bigger so i dont have to see anyone!

Robin said...

So that's where I left my spaceship!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

My ONLY complaint about our vacation in Mexico was that the hotel grounds were too big. Just arrive at the pool and realize you left your book in the room? Prepare for a 20 minute round trip walk. I think this house would be the same way. Lovely to visit, but annoyingly big to live in.

Otherwise, it's stunning.

PS I'm glad to hear that you and I are on the same kitchen remodel timeline. Prepare to resist the urge to stab your eyes out when you see mine next month

susieq said...

32,000 square feet. My gosh, it's ginormous. In the aerial photo it looks like a giant reptile that will be eating the little ones surrounding it. But, I like the boulder.

fromtherightbank.com said...

Pretty impressive. That kitchen is fantastic. Just look at all the glass and those beams. I agree with the others. If you think about it, it's only 10,000+sq ft/family so really, it's not *that* big. ;)

nkp said...

To say this place sticks out like a sore thumb is an understatement. And yet, it has many appealing features. And bonus points for 21(!) bathrooms...awfully thoughtful. No one will ever have to wait in line!

pillow mint said...

the amazing thing is, the surrounding homes are huge -- they're only dwarfed because this house is 32,000 sq feet.
i just can't imagine the planning stages; do you think they envisioned 32,000 sq ft. at the beginning?

you know grandma's stoked! ;)

erin@designcrisis said...

Wow, it's like a private city. Think of how many light fixtures I could buy for it!!!

Alexis said...

Definitely screams out for Chandler Bing voice!