Recent Posts

Friday, October 9, 2009

Today's project

Stripping the Ford administration-era wallpaper off of The Pea's bedroom walls. It's the thickest nastiest vinyl you can imagine, and I do believe the installers mistook a pail of floor mastic for their adhesive when applying it. The paper covered all four walls AND the ceiling. It was like stepping into a poo-colored cave. When we first saw the house, I asked The Pea if she would like this to be her bedroom. She took one look and said,"Noooooo." Can you blame her?

My brand new McCulloch steamer was useless, so I started ripping sheets off the wall. WHEE - cathartic home demolition! Most of it came off cleanly, but a couple of areas look like shrapnel hit them. The marks to the left are overspray from the hideous metal closet door I removed. I'm terribly disappointed there weren't any filthy limericks hidden underneath the wallpaper.

My project manager came in with her assistant to supervise the progress.

There is so much glue remaining on the walls that painting won't be an option. But all is not lost! This is my chance to use Suzy Hoodless' "Rosabella" paper from her "Hothouse" collection for Osborne & Little. Delicious!

18 comments:

David said...

One wall of that could be interesting, but four plus the ceiling...wow, poo indeed.

The Rosabella is really wonderful. Osborne & Little make such nice papers.

Because I have a wealth of Truman era wallpaper to contend with, a friend recommended Chomp! wallpaper stripper. I'll let you know how it goes.

Sol Kawage said...

that wallpaper is dreamy!! Alas, decorating a room for two boys isn't nearly as exciting. I will live the experience vicariously through the Pea's room, and I think I'll peak.

Anne (in Reno) said...

That is gorgeous wallpaper! I removed a LOT of nasty vinyl wallpaper from my house and seriously, how satisfying is it when it's finally all gone?

Although I have to agree with David, what about the (gorgeous) Rosabella on an accent wall and some neutral grasscloth or something for the rest? It might get overwhelming for a whole room, don't you think?

Also I LOVE the purply-blue colorway of the same wallpaper, I wonder if I could stick it up somewhere in my house...

erin@designcrisis said...

Love the paper you chose, and I say go all four walls.

Hate the poo paper, so glad to see it go!

And Pea and her assistant are too precious for words.

Kate said...

Love that wallpaper! I'm with Erin, do all four walls (and possibly the ceiling).
Found any more hydroponics?!

Pseudonymous High School Teacher said...

I love the view out that bedroom window.

Raina Cox said...

Kate - Nope, no more drug-related surprises in the house.

PHST - What looks like a lovely landscape of trees is actually an enormous overgrown bush we're having removed in the spring.

And I'm definitely going for all four walls with the wallpaper!

Alexis said...

My girls would flip for that wallpaper! (The flowers, not the first one!)

When I win a bazillion dollars, I'm going to hire a private jet to come pick you and the Pea up--so the girls can play together and so you can help me decorate my house!

karly / design-crisis.com said...

i am about to cry. i have to leave my computer now. i want that wall paper SOOOOO badly. For me. Let's not talk about how much older I am than your daughter. I have it at the top of my office wallpaper possibilities pile... of course, I just ended up painting it white. The Pea wins.

Sol Kawage said...

Alexis, you will have to wait till they come back from my place ;)

Debi said...

yeah - love the planned wallapaper! It is going to make such a huge difference!

sherri said...

Love your assitant and her new wallpaper. Way to take poo the poo off, good job.

pillow mint said...

pink and orange is the greatest color combo for a girls' room! it's gorgeous. (and scrolling down the post look how perfectly her blanket(s) match the wall paper!!) I cannot wait to see the finished room.
perfect timing on the bath products -- getting the poo off the walls must've been a bitch!

Laura@EdenRose said...

Congrats on all the stripping! Love Love Love the wallpaper, the Pea is so lucky and four walls is the only way to go with that one.
X

Designers' Brew said...

holy COW that brown room was scary. Her new room is going to be breathtaking. :)

houseenvy said...

It's going to be lovely! Are you keeping the fretwork shutters? I love them.

I'm a big fan of spray paint, but never seen it used on skirting before... Did the previous owners die of chronic lung disease, perchance?

Jill said...

filthy limericks...that made me laugh!

Raina Cox said...

Houseenvy - We are keeping the shutters. I'm crazy about them!

And that trim will be painted a lovely light neutral.