Recent Posts

Monday, November 30, 2009

Heaven in a casserole dish

Oh, mother of all Lipitor prescriptions! I just made the MOST DELICIOUS chocolate kugel. My first kugel since returning from New Zealand, the Land of No Egg Noodles.

Because it's the season of caring, I will do something I have never ever done before - share my kugel recipe. Oh sure, I've given the standard version to several people, but there are dashes of this and pinches of that which I have closely guarded. Until now.

For the gentiles in the audience, you may have never tried or even heard of kugel (Susan of Service & Devotion, I'm eyeballing you). I dare you to make it once and not feel the need to dance the hora and seriously investigate conversion.

Raina's Chocolate Kugel

Serves 8 generously.

1 package of Manischewitz Extra Wide egg noodles
2 jumbo eggs (or 3 large)
3/4 cup sugar
1 pint sour cream, regular or low fat
8 oz small curd cottage cheese
1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
3/4 teaspoon of almond extract
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
1 cup chocolate chips or chunks
Cinnamon

Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

Start the water boiling for the noodles.

In a large bowl, beat together the eggs and sugar. Add sour cream, cottage cheese, vanilla, almond extract, salt, and melted butter. Set aside.

Cook noodles according to package directions (8 minutes, stirring frequently). Drain and rinse with cold water.

Fold cooled noodles and chocolate into the egg mixture. Pour into a greased 9"x13" baking dish or casserole dish. Dust very lightly with cinnamon.

Bake for 60 minutes.

Taste and say,"OY!"

(Adapted from a recipe in Sheila Kaufman's Simply Irresistible)

19 comments:

The Townhouselady said...

Bless you for sharing! I'm a gentile with a huge penchant for Kugal but have never had it with chocolate!

Thanks again!

sherri said...

I like the word, Kugel. And I'm liking the way this looks and the recipe. I may practice this with Tom Collichio at once.

Alisa said...

A noodle dessert, interesting! I will have to try this.

Cristin said...

ok, I'm really weird about food... egg noodles and chocolate don't quite go together in my world. If it were in front of me, I may take a small taste and pretend I like it.

susieq said...

I've never tasted kugal and I'm going to make this! Can't wait to smack my lips and say “oy!”

David said...

When I saw that headline on my blogroll I thought "Oh please let it be a kugel recipe" and you do not disappoint. Looking forward to making this soon!

ita darling. said...

After a brief discussion with my Cajun Jew of a boyfriend- (who raised his eyebrows at the notion of chocolate kugel) I offered to make him this decidedly yummy looking concoction for a chanukah treat- to which he responded "why can't we have macaroons?"

and I retorted "because we're gonna have kugel dammit! I've been challenged!"

Cote de Texas said...

i need a good recipe for a regular one for hanukah? do you have one. the last time i made it - it was all runny. i am a horrible cook.

Anita Davis said...

yum, yum, and yum. i'm making this, and don't judge me if i eat it directly out of the pan.

only a movie said...

I believe that looks yummmy, although I am similar to my sister in trying new foods.
You are so generous to share.

Raina Cox said...

Alisa - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

nkp said...

Now this is what I call "Daily Deliciousness!" I haven't had this in forever and ever and never with chocolate. But you'd better believe that's gonna change quickly.

Alison said...

It sounds awesome; can't wait to try it! And sharing kugel recipies is waay better than sharing kegel excercises, which is what I first thought I read when I saw this. Something is wrong with me.

Raina Cox said...

Cote de Texas - Joni, same recipe. Just swap the sweet stuff (sugar, extracts, chocolate, cinnamon) for savory (onions, leeks, herbs, and a dissolved cube of chicken bullion).

drollgirl said...

i was so excited until i saw COTTAGE CHEESE. ew! i cannot do that. otherwise it sounds divine. oh god. maybe i CAN do cottage cheese. what is wrong with me?!

erin@designcrisis said...

Alison cracks me up!

Oh, and Raina, you had me at butter.

Raina Cox said...

Cote de Texas - I meant "crushed" chicken bouillon cube, not "dissolved."

We'd be right back to the runny kugel issue.

Sorry, Joni!

Amy said...

Just when I've finally gotten my friends to eat my scrumptious kugel w/cream cheese--the one published in the Indianapolis Jr. League Cookbook, where the caption reads: "Good when served with ham." I think I'll bring this one to my daughter-in-laws birthday party brunch. Nothing like chocolate in the morning! Thanks!

Raina Cox said...

Amy - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

I'm from Indy and those Junior League-ers well. ;)