Recent Posts

Monday, November 9, 2009

Keep Austin weird

Thursday, November 5th, 2009 - a day which will live in design blog infamy. The creative forces behind Design Crisis, Designers' Brew, and If The Lamp Shade Fits came together in Austin, Texas for one helluva weekend.

To get the party started, Karly met Molly and me at the airport with giant water bottles filled with cocktails. As I was coming down the elevator to baggage claim, there was KP shaking the beverages like huge maracas. I was instantly in friend. We stayed up until nearly 2am catching up. It was like coming home to sisters you didn't know you had.

The next day kicked off with brunch at Trudy's, a Mexican restaurant with a huge covered patio. Wally, the world's dearest waiter served us a boatload of cocktails fueling us up for an afternoon of vintage shopping. KP and EB then took us to South Congress, the world famous vintage, thrift, and gallery street.

Uncommon Objects is an upscale antique mall with incredibly merchandised seller booths. We all did our best to talk Karly into this oddball Mt. Rushmore family portrait, but she couldn't think of a single spot for it in her magazine-worthy home.

I picked up the brass tray and metal basket-weave pencil cup there. The bracelet and small plate are from Mercury - hands down the most fabulous design store in downtown Austin.

That night we all gathered for dinner at Karly's house and were joined by Andrea from House of Slappy. She is expecting a baby boy later this winter and looks incredibly radiant. We had such a fantastic time talking that dinner didn't wind down until after midnight.

Saturday afternoon was reserved for skeet shooting. Save Erin, none of us had ever even held a gun. We were fortunate enough to have Texas' most patient instructor, Joe, former pastor and interior decorator (don't ask). We each managed to knock several clays out of the sky. I have the fever and must convince my Prius-driving liberal-votin' tree-hugger of a husband that I desperately need a firearm.

Afterwards, we headed to downtown Austin to luxuriate in some upscale design showroom shopping. We stopped by Ligne Roset and I got to roll around on a Togo for the first time. There would have been video, but the manager was a friend of Karly's and I didn't want to embarrass KP.

We each manged to spend tens of thousands of imaginary dollars in a matter of minutes. I still don't understand why Karly wasn't willing to sell a kidney to fund the purchase of this chair.

After feeding Ike, Erin joined us for dinner at Opal Divine's. We parked it on a picnic table outside for three hours and ate and drank our asses off.

We stumbled a few blocks over to Malverde, designed by the prolific Austin-ite Joel Mozersky. An incredibly gorgeous place, inexplicably filled with douche-tastic patrons dressed like Kevin Federline.

After finding our sea legs again, we headed to Rain, a gay bar with a great disco ball treatment in the entrance to which my photo does not do justice. We laid claim to a cabana lounge and watched the fun. The little guy on the right cruised by in his BVDs offering shots for $3. It's been a while since I've been served by a man in his underwear.

Sunday was our day of rest. We enjoyed a late breakfast and then dropped Molly off at the airport. KP and EB took me to an over-the-top toy store to get a present for The Pea. We picked up tacos on the way back to Erin's place and spent the rest of the afternoon hanging out with baby-licious Ike and watching "Kung Fu Panda." Around 6pm, Karly and Erin took me kicking and screaming to the airport. I've never seen three days pass so heart-breakingly quickly. Well, there's always Round Top in the spring...

28 comments:

erin@designcrisis said...

It was an amazing trip all around, though it's tough to suppress my disappointment at the lack of Togo coverage... You're just going to have to come back so we can get some action shots.

fromtherightbank.com said...

I knew you were going to have the time of your life - how could you not with that crowed??? I've been met at the airport by lots of things in my day but never cocktails! I'll have to think of a way to top that when you come to Atlanta!

only a movie said...

Wow. Impressive. What a cool trip. Love the interior of that restaurant too.

amy @ switz~art said...

what an amazing trip that was!!! i loved living vicariously through this post!
that chair karly was sitting in was super fab! and that bracelet you picked up...i am a fan!
thanks for sharing, chicky!

ita darling. said...

How fun! SO happy that your trip to Texas was a success! Even though I go to Austin about once a month- I have never been to some of those places! Now I want to start singing a girlscout song about gold and silver friends...

susan

ita darling. said...

P.S. I think you inadvertently gave us the sneak peak of Erin's Dining Room makeover that we have all be wanting... Can't wait to see the rest!

Susan

Cote de Texas said...

i'm so jealous! isn't So Co the best?!! love that street. Austin is best city in the world, imho.

David said...

And Austin moves up a few more notches on my places to go list. And not just because of the cocktail waiter in his shorts.

karly said...

just when i had forgotten all about the mt rushmore family... ugh, you're killing me!!!

so, remind me again why you two had to leave??

karly said...

btw, "her magazine-worthy home" is the very nicest compliment anyone has ever paid me ever ever in the history of time. I declare that the gods shall send you sunshine and vodka for the rest of your days.

House of Slappy said...

Wow, wow, wow...what a jam-packed weekend. SO great to finally meet you, dahling! Glad you enjoyed your visit to Austin. I must be living under a rock - Malverde?! Texas misses you already :)

House of Slappy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
susieq said...

What a great trip! The shopping sounds like such fun -- only surpassed by the food + cocktails. Thanks for the great photos and trip details.

griffo68 said...

Cocktails at the airport, lots of shopping AND a gay bar!!!! What more could anyone want! Looks like you all had a fabulicious time together....wish I had been there! *stamps feet*

nkp said...

Awesome...keep 'em coming!

W/V= tipsyst (Ha!) (so who was the tipsy-est???)

Cassie said...

Thank you for the recap! The final image of baby Ike sitting next to the Beethoven bust is too cute.

Raina Cox said...

Hi ya Cassie and welcome to this deliciousness!

sherri said...

Now I can never meet any bloggy friends in real life b/c your weekend can NOT be topped! Someone's kidney must be sold for that chair. Austin looks amazing!

Jeannine @ Small and Chic said...

Psst...I'm about to give you a blog award. Come on by in about 10 minutes to claim it!

Raina Cox said...

Thank you for that, Jeannine!

Sol Kawage said...

ok from now on I'll spend my idle brain time daydreaming about the day when my tots are old enough to stay home with daddy while I go have some wild fun and get hammered at a gay bar.

laura @ so alaurable said...

Wow, I can't believe you packed in so much in that time period! I'm so glad you went to Trudy's...that's the place we'd always, always go to indulge in Mexican Martinis.

Glad you had fun!

Alicia B. Designs said...

When are you guys going to come to NYC?? Sounds like tons of crazy fun...

Designers' Brew said...

Yeah. It was an incredibly fun time, but of all the highlights, I can't decide if my favorite part was the giant sippy bottles of Special Sprite at the airport, or Erin's deeply purposeful and assertive shooting stance. I wanna go back!

erin@designcrisis said...

Dude, I had to plant myself firmly... that gun weighs about as much as I do, and is twice as tall.

And my stance ain't got nothing on your heels!

NY and Denver next!!!

alisonml said...

Even though I got to this post I wanted to thank you for making me terribly homesick for Austin.

What a great place, huh?

Thanks for sharing your photos and adventures!

Raina Cox said...

Alisonml - Hello and welcome to this deliciousness!

MyLittleHappyPlace said...

I wasn't privy to your uber blogstress-ness back when you wrote this post, so I'm glad you re-linked. I'm a UT alum, so Austin will always be near and dear to my heart.
I snagged an old pineapple lamp at Uncommon Objects last year, and schlepped it all the way back to Brazil.
South Congress shopping... {le sigh}

Didn't know you were a Round Top trooper, too! Next time I'm Stateside for the show, we'll have a blog sista hook up, 'kay? ;)