Recent Posts

Monday, November 2, 2009

Sneak peek - guest room

I just rolled the first coat of the wall color in the guest bedroom and had to share. The painting of the master bedroom was delayed when I got word last week that my good friend Debi will be visiting us in mid-December. The guest room has to be prepped pronto!

I'm trying not to let its basement location deter me from creating a truly inviting room. Since the ceilings are just a squidge over 7 feet, I decided to embrace the closeness and give the room a big hug of deep deep purple (Benjamin Moore's "Black Raspberry"). The ceiling is the palest sky blue (BM's "Whispering Spring").

LB removed the Guido contemporary light fixture you see to the left in the before picture above. It will be replaced with something a little less Real Housewives of New Jersey. Click here for a reminder of the bed and bedding. More photos to come...

16 comments:

Sol Kawage said...

that color is just.... just... argh. PERFECT!
Where do I sign up for the guest room waiting list?

Also, can I totally copy the look of this room for my studio? The hot pink - aubergine has just nauseated me.

abchao said...

Omigod. My guest bedroom is painted this EXACT SAME COLOR. We really should get married.

Yay!

Kate said...

It looks lovely, on my screen it looks quite purple, so is that alright to have a libido killer in the guest bedroom?

Raina Cox said...

Sol - You're most certainly welcome to use these colors. And when is Denver mi casa es su casa.

AB - We would never argue about how to decorate, would we?

Kate - Not only is it alright, it's highly recommended. ;)

Designers' Brew said...

now THAT is a sleep cave! Can't wait to stay there.

Sol Kawage said...

Kate, you certainly don't want your guests making your furniture squeak I suppose :D

ita darling. said...

oooh ooh ooh! paint the ceiling! paint the ceiling! for true cave likedness...

karly said...

yay! love it! the light blue ceiling was a stroke of genius!

susieq said...

I love it! It is truly a hug. What lighting will you hang in the place of the Guido Contempo?

susieq said...

Whoa... speaking of guests... How was your weekend of design debauchery with Crisis + Brew? We want to live vicariously through you!

Anne (in Reno) said...

What a delicious color. Can't wait to see the bedding in situ.

Raina Cox said...

SusieQ - It's this upcoming weekend. I leave Thursday. CANNOT WAIT!

nkp said...

One word for you-cocoon! I love it.

amy @ switz~art said...

it looks way bigger!
i am in love with the colour!

thanks for buying benny moore! you're keeping my hubby in a job! :-)

erin@designcrisis said...

Awesome! I kept envisioning this color somewhere in your home... so glad to see it here.

Raina Cox said...

Susie - I forgot to answer your question about the lighting. There are two fixtures on the ceiling (weird, I know) and the budget doesn't allow for installing a central one and patching the existings. So last night I bought two very benign but serviceable fixtures at Home Depot.

The lamps on either side of the bed will be fab though.