Recent Posts

Friday, December 18, 2009

The Pea's bedroom reveal

Months in the making, The Pea's bedroom makeover is finally finished. She's turning 3 on the 1st, and I wanted to give her a room that is fun, feminine, and can grow with her.

The shutters are original to the house and much loved - they were most definitely staying. The daybed is from IKEA and the birdcage light fixture (no longer available) is from Urban Outfitters. The quilt, which conveniently reverses to an orange that matches the paper, is from Garnet Hill (colorway no longer available). The Pine Cone Hill euro pillow was on clearance at TJ Maxx for $7. I've had the large basket for years, it used to hold bolts of fabric in my home store.

The bedside table was a deal-io from West Elm, and I picked up the table lamp today from Home Depot. No, seriously. The clock is from Tar-zhay, and the frames are from my home store.

A ruffled curtain from Urban Outfitters replaces a hideous folding metal louvered door. The thing-y hanging to the left is decorative beaded string of fabric elephants from World Market.

Could they be any cuter? Nope.

So we can't really have a Before & After without the "before." This is the room the day we first toured the house. Too lovely for words, huh?

A better shot of the wallpaper. Yeah, it covered the ceiling too. It was a poo-colored cave.

We started by carefully removing ripping off the wallpaper with abandon and glee. The ceiling was painted Benjamin Moore's "Vine Green" and the trim is BM's "Morning Dew."

The first few strips of Suzy Hoodless' "Rosabella" for Osborne & Little go up.

We ran a couple of rolls short which was hella frustrating. When I tried to order more, I was informed the UK distributor was no longer shipping to the States. Trying my best not to have a break down, I blogged about my predicament and a real live British knight in shining armor, Griffo68 from Obsessilicious, came to my rescue. He ordered the two rolls for me from his local decorating shop (they even matched the dye lot!) and shipped them over. MY HERO!

This project took longer than I could ever have imagined, but it's finally wrapped up and The Pea adores her room. She should what with all that sweat equity she put in.

37 comments:

abchao said...

Yaaaaay! It looks amazing.

Kate said...

It is like an exotic little palace! love those shutters too and the view looks beautiful.
Lucky princess Pea!
Well done Griffo68 for saving the day.

only a movie said...

Wowee wow wow. Beyond delicious.

Robin said...

Adopt me so I can have a room like that! Please?

My W/V is "grool" which pretty much sums up my mutual feelings of "green with envy" and "drooling".

PS - re: the before pic, what is with people putting those resin patio chairs IN the house?

erin@designcrisis said...

It looks amazing amazing amazing, and I expected nothing less from you. The Pea is such a lucky girl!!!!

erin@designcrisis said...

ps, good job, Griffo!

Amy said...

Can I move in too? It's perfection!

Keri Batchelder Hoffman said...

Oh Raina, Perfecto! Pea is a lucky lady.

Jamie said...

I was going to say the same as above. Let me know if you are interested in adopting a much older sister for Pea, I would love to share a room with her!

Risley and Dylan said...

super cute! I love it!

susieq said...

I would be sooooo happy if that room was my own. Pea, will you share? Except, I want you guest room bed in there. It's gorgeous!!

David said...

It's a room she can love at 3, 13, and 23 (when she's home for breaks from grad school).

The birdcage light fixture is so great.

And huge props to Griffo for the save on the paper!

ita darling. said...

BOLD move painting the ceiling green, and IIIII LIIKE IT!

i love real world knights in shining armour.

great job. your taste is perfection. I'm sure Le Pois adores it the most!

griffo68 said...

It looks fantabulous!!!
You've done a fantastic job, the lovely Pea is a very lucky girl.

It was my pleasure to help you out and give me a shout if you need my services again.
The ladies at "Vogue Interiors" (how original! LOL!) were very helpful and managed to order and get the paper into the shop within 24 hours so a big thank you goes to them also.

As for being referred to as a knight in shining armour and a hero....*blush*

Debi said...

Yeah! The room looks so great finished - and the Pea is quite proud of her "flowers". Congrats on getting one project done! Really cute room :)

Jill said...

She is going to grow up to be a very cool woman!

Anita Davis said...

it looks fantastic!
you've done an amazing job -- and that first photo should be in a magazine.

Designers' Brew said...

It looks SO GORGEOUS, babe... what a lucky girl!

amy @ switz~art said...

wow!!! i am stunned! i love it! the pea must adore it!! great, great work!

Leigh said...

I love how original this room is. Exotic and flavorful, feminine but not girly, playful but not saccharin. I think I would sum it up as whimsical opulence. I love the mood it evokes. Lucky Pea!

Laura @ EdenRose said...

Lucky Lucky Pea, i adore the shutters, the wallpaper is beautiful (well done griffo!)

Bromeliad said...

Hey, when the Pea moves out, I'll move in.

Cristin said...

That's so much nicer than any room in my house. What a lucky little shit that Pea.

sherri said...

Raina, it is just beautifully done. Any little girl would feel so proud to have that as her room.

Camilla @ Designalogue Blog said...

as above - looks fantastic! Aren't you a clever lady!!

Alison said...

You are the best mom! She's going to love that room for a long time. It looks fab!!

drollgirl said...

it looks amazing! you must have one happy little girl!

fromtherightbank.com said...

Everything looks amazing! I can't get over that wallpaper - such a great choice. It's very girly and grown up at the same time. Just brilliant.

House of Slappy said...

Kudos! It looks fantastic and every piece looks very thoughtful. She's a lucky little lady that Pea.

PutzFrau said...

Love Love LOOOOOOVVVVVEEEE it!

Amy said...

This room is absolutely adorable. The wallpaper is amazing and all of the details just perfect. Your daughter is going to have great memories of this room when she grows up!

Lacey said...

I love the dark ceiling. I'm not afraid to pick colors for walls, but for some reason picking a color for the ceiling stops me in my tracks! Thanks for sharing your colorful (and beautiful) ceilings (and the shutters. Gah, I cannot get over those shutters!).

A Perfect Gray said...

back here from your link in today's post. this room is wonderful in every way. that wallpaper is divine.

Ms. Bright said...

The Pea's room is truly inspired. Gorgeous use of color. You nailed fem and non-juvey.

Thank you for your sweet comments. I cannot tell you how thrilled I am that you chose to follow me-!!
My comment on MFAMB today goes for you, also. Bravo for speaking your mind. You and Jenny say alot of the crap that I think but am scared to post, because I think people will hate me.
You are bril. Thanks for not judging me too harshly!!

Domestic Goddess said...

HOW am I just now seeing this?! LOVE it, Raina. You never cease to amaze! Fabulous!

Jennifer Sanderson said...

You are super talented...this room is to die for.

Louise (Table Tonic) said...

Okay, how did I miss THIS!! Amazeballs...
She'll be worshiping that room until she's 36. I should know.